Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: RIA with conversion kits

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

RIA with conversion kits

I found something interesting and I thought I would share. I have 3 RIAs in the following forms: M1911A1 GI, M1911A1 loaded and M1911A2. The guns all function well with a Ciener 1911-22 conversion kit, but not with the Sig 1911-22 conversion kit. Interestingly, my Colt 1991A1 and S&W 1911 will function with either version of the conversion kits. As for the RIA, the Sig 1911-22 Recoil Spring Guide Rod will not fit into the frame notch. Maybe more interesting is the fact that the Colt 1991A1 and RIA M1911A1 (both of which I thought were GI milspec) have very different sizes when it comes to the recoil spring guide rod notch.

Posts liked by others
    I have never had that issue with my two different Advantage Arms kit or a kit imported by EAA. I have two RIA frames and either kit will fit either frame. One frame is from my RIA 1911-A1 and the other I bought from Sarco to mate to my AA kit. There might be small difference in the recoil spring guide rod in the RIA 1911-A1 compared to other 1911’s. The Sig 1911 22 conversion is the same as the GSG kit imported by Umarex. The Sig is basically rebranded GSG. I know on the GSG/Sig 1911 22 LR pistol the barrel is fixed to the frame. The barrel on my AA kit is fit to where it does not tilt like locked breach centerfire pistol.

It might be there is tolerance stacking going on between the Sig 22 conversions and the RIA frames. A few thousandths can make a difference on whether two parts fit together. On my two kits the underside of the barrel fits in the notch in the frame where the recoil spring guide rod fit into the shank of the barrel. My EAA kit is basically the same design as the Ceiner 1911 kit.

I found pictures of the Sig/GSG 1911 conversion kit and I can see why it might not fit a RIA frame. I found a website that sell parts to trick out a SIG/GSG so it looks like they are getting aftermarket support.

https://zrtacticalsolutions.com/product-category/products/zrts-firearm-parts/gsg/
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 16th July 2022 at 21:12.

Posts liked by others
    After reading this I broke out my Ceiner 22 kit and tried to put it on my Rock GI 9mm. It wouldn't even start on the frame like the frame was too wide. I will have to look at it closer. So I put it on my Colt GI 45 frame and took it out and put 50 rounds through it for a test. Ran fine. I will leave it on there for a bit and run some rounds through it.
    Ron