Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a gunsmith

Posts liked by others
    My other 1911s hand cycle,just fine. Sometimes I get a nose down misfeed even with theslide release method, with certain bullet types and magazines. I’m learning to work around it.
    Last edited by scattershot; 2nd August 2022 at 19:25.

Posts liked by others
    All’s well that ends well, I guess. Took the pistol to the range. I don’t know if it’s just getting broken in, or the Tripp magaznes, but it ate everything I fed it without a hiccup. Well, there was one failure to return to battery, but I think that may have been the ammo. If I learned anything from this, it’s to shoot full magazines when you’re breaking in your 1911. After fully loading the magazine, press down on the top bullet. It will nose dive every time. I don’t care what superduperwhammajamma mags you have, the 6th and 7th rounds will nose dive. Nature of the beast.

I normally only load five rounds at the range, so I didn’t pick up on this right away.

Now to Bob the GI hammer so it doesn’t bite, and I’ll be in business. Thanks for following along.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for getting back with the results. I'm glad to hear that it's working better.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    I was thinking of trying aSIG 1911 mag, which I understand presents the rounds at a steeper angle.
    The angle the top round sits when in the magazine and under the feed lips has no bearing whatsoever on how that round is fed into the chamber. That's because the first thing that top round does when contacted by the slide returning to battery is to rotate down to make full contact with the round below.

This action occurs for the first four or five rounds fed from the magazine. Contrary to what a nose-up appearance would seem to indicate, those first rounds stripped by the slide quickly go nose down and make their first contact not with the barrel but with the feed ramp on the frame. If all is well with the gun, their noses glance up and off the feed ramp and then enter the chamber.

However, if all is NOT well with the gun, those first rounds will try to slide up the feed ramp (instead of glancing up and off the feed ramp) and a jam in likely to result.

Demonstrate this to yourself by observing the gap between the top and next round with a full magazine as well as the nose-up attitude of that top round. Then push down on the nose of that top round to close that gap and observe the new not-so-nose-up attitude of that top round. That's the angle of that top round as the slide moves it forward out of the magazine on its way to feed ramp contact.
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Last edited by niemi24s; 22nd August 2022 at 22:42.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the info. You are correct,of course. I have decided to just feed the beast ammo that it doesn’t choke on (H&G 68 seems to feed well) and call it a day. I may at some point have a gunsmith correct the feed ramp, but I can’t find one who isn’t primarily a parts changer. I have other 1911s for social work, this one is just an inexpensive plinker.

Posts liked by others
    Sheesh! Sorry, looks like you had that nose-diving stuff all figured out back in Post #22!!
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    Seems like it only happens with the top two rounds in the stack. I donít know if thereís a way around it or not. I always figured the .45 was a straight case, so I canít figure out why it does that.

ETA: I,just checked a case diagram, and note that there is a VERY slight case taper, but it doesnít seem to be enough to cause the stacking offset. Live and learn.

Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by scattershot; 24th August 2022 at 09:04.

Posts liked by others
    That gap is mainly the result of the grip and magazine angle, as illustrated below.
    P(10)3270135g Magazine Education Sought, Post 7.jpg
    I think the taper of the case contributes only a wee bit to the gap - perhaps seven times the included taper of each case or 7 X 0.005 = 0.035" for mid-spec cases.

With a mockup of the magazine, you'll find the aft end of the bottom cartridge is indeed in "limbo" and free to move up & down between the follower and the cartridge above and the front of the top round is in the same kind of "limbo". Only fix I can think of is to make the grip and magazine vertical.
    Last edited by niemi24s; 24th August 2022 at 09:45.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the diagram, that explains a lot. I don’t get the gap loading only five rounds.

Posts liked by others
    Getting back to the angle of your feed ramp, the best way I've devised to measure it with what I had available is this:
    P(10)2160005c Ramp Angle And Depth..., Post 53.jpg
    I'd found methods using indirect measurements and calculations to be too "iffy". This method will be iffy too if the ramp is convex along its centerline
    Last edited by niemi24s; 24th August 2022 at 11:43.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast