Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a gunsmith

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Looking for a gunsmith

I just bought a Tisas 1911 .I get an occasional nose down misfeed/jam with it, and I suspect the feedramp is not cut properly. Can anyone recommend a gunsmith in the Denver area who could recut the feed ramp? There are a lot of parts changers out there, but I’m looking for someone who knows what he is about.

Thanks.

Posts liked by others
    Have you tried any other magazines? Also, what bullet profile are you shooting?
    I have read that the recoil springs might be too heavy, perhaps not allowing the slide to fully retract.
    ***Honesty is the Foundation to One's Character***

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the reply. The H&G 68 design seems to feed, as do truncated cone designs, but not 100%..I have tried other magazines, but they all do it to some extent. I still think it may be the feed ramp, which seems a little shallow. My other 1911s don’t have this problem.

Posts liked by others
    How much vertical play is there between the magazine and the pistol when the magazine is locked in place? If there's much play at all, an EGW magazine catch, which holds the magazine a bit higher in the frame, may be all that's needed.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Thanks. All the mags fit firmly in the well, with no play. I was thinking of trying aSIG 1911 mag, which I understand presents the rounds at a steeper angle. This pistol is a range toy, so I may just load round nose bullets in it and call it a day.

Posts liked by others
    I've always been told by those that know a lot more than I that a nose down fail to feed is most likely a magazine issue.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    Thanks. Believe it is, but it happens with all my mags. I have come to learn that any rounds loaded into a magazine above five or so will tilt as they are fed. Some pistols are more tolerant of this than others.

Posts liked by others
    Well, all I can add is that there are different profiles to the magazine feed lips. I don't know who makes what though, sorry.
    You might try a Tripp magazine, they sit very high and are perhaps the best mag available. If not the best, definitely at the top of the magazine game. I have good success with CMC Power Mags and the new Wilson ETM. To be honest, my guns run with any mag I put in them and most any ammo.
    Approximately what part of the world are you hailing from? There might be a competent 'smith in your area.
    Do be cautious about removing metal from the ramp, it's much more difficult to put back on.
    Best wishes.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    Thanks. I’m in Denver. There used to be several competent smiths here, but they have all died or retired. No end of parts changers, though. I’ll try the Tripp mag, and see if it makes any difference. Appreciate the suggestions.

Posts liked by others
    That's the story in many places, all the good 'smiths have passed on. What's left is parts changers and professional 1911 custom builders. Neither of which is going to be much help.
    Just for kicks, try a new 16 pound recoil spring. An 18 might also be good to try.
    - Albert Camus

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast