Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Plated Bullets

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Plated Bullets

I am not sure if I am posting this question in the correct place, but here goes: I have been reloading plated bullets for use in my 1911. I have been reading about barrel longevity and I was wondering if plated bullets are easier on a barrel than FMJ bullets? And am I correct that lead bullets are easier on the barrel than FMJ bullets?

Posts liked by others
    I can’t answer your specific question, but I will say that I’ve never heard of anyone wearing out a barrel.

Posts liked by others
    That seems to be the consensus from a lot of info that I have read. I read accounts of people putting 20,000 rounds thru their barrel and accuracy was still fine. I was just interested from a technical point of view. My 1911 has about 14,00 rounds thru the barrel and still groups fine. The majority of those rounds were lead bullets and about a third of them FMJ. Due to availability, I have switched to plated bullets and was curious how they impacted the barrel life versus the other types. For what it's worth, I load at the minimum amount of powder needed to reliably function the pistol. I am sure this also extends barrel life even more than the type of bullet used.

Posts liked by others
    In general, brass bullets are the hardest on a barrel, followed by FMJ, then plated and lastly lead bullets. I do not have any hard data that gives round count for each type of bullet.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the info. I was not aware of brass bullets, sounds expensive! I have been getting my plated bullets from Everglades Bullets based in Florida. They make a nice product and give prompt service.