Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Name that malfunction - had to field strip to fix

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    If you have a 3-point jam, the bullet is pressing upwards on the top of the chamber, causing the barrel hood to be pushed up against the underside if the slide. If this occurs before the barrel lugs are aligned with the slide grooves, as the slide tries to continue forward friction keeps the barrel moving, and the link keeps trying to push the barrel up into lug engagement. If the lugs aren't aligned, the barrel can't go any higher than contact, so everything stops.
    A three point jam will always happen before the upper lugs are aligned, as the alignment does not occur until the round is chambered and the breech face, and hood or barrel blocks make contact and provide the alignment of the upper lugs, and closes to battery. A three point jams occurs as it is stripped, nose bounces up to the top inside of the chamber (1) and the case is wedging against the barrel break over corner(2) to chamber, so it is stuck with the case head being pushed by the (3)breech face, the bullet nose against the top of the chamber and the underside of the case wedging against this sharp corner of the barrel chamber ramp. It require a slight radius, which will provide the room needed for the cartridge to slide up the breech face, under the extractor hook, and fully enter the chamber. Only then will the barrel be in a position to go forward, and rise up engaging the upper lugs and close to battery.

CAW
    “If it ain't broke, don't fix it' is the slogan of the complacent, the arrogant or the scared. It's an excuse for inaction, a call to non-arms.” Colin Powell

Posts liked by others
    I did manage to get this back together shortly after posting and the disconnector feels a little better now. Mother's Day kept me off the range to experiment with live fire a little more. Going back over all of this, I may want to revisit this extra drag I was feeling at the start of the slide's forward travel. My gut tells me to just send it back in, but I also don't want to miss out on a learning opportunity. All of this has given me a good excuse to more closely examine how these parts all work together, so thanks as always for the ideas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12