Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: CMP Rack Grade Remington Rand - Diamond in the Rough

Posts liked by others

CMP Rack Grade Remington Rand - Diamond in the Rough

Picked up my CMP Rack Grade Remington Rand today from my FFL. Was hoping for a Colt (frame at least), but forgot about that when I saw this one. Appears to be a 90%+ correct survivor (2.026M s/n - December 1944), with lots of holster wear. I guess the finish wear deemed it a Rack Grade. After a quick field strip, the only "incorrect" parts are an early checkered slide stop and late issue grips, which I promptly replaced with some WW2 Keyes grips that I already had. No rebuild stamps, other than an "A U" stamped above the trigger on the left side. Haven't found out what that means yet. Came with a brand new Checkmate (1M291) contract magazine; there are no brass marks on the magazine follower at all.

Thanks to the CMP.
    Likes (3) :
    BrettID (8th April 2022), nra-life-member (11th May 2022), Ric4509 (11th April 2022)

Posts liked by others
    Nice score!!!!

I said it before and I'll say it again; I regret not getting in on the first two and I hope there is a third offering from CMP. I won't miss the 3rd. Voluntarily.
    Likes (1) :
    Glynn863 (9th April 2022)

Posts liked by others
    Very nice! I also just received a RR a bit later than yours shipped May '45
    Let us know what you find on the AU stamp.
    Likes (1) :

Posts liked by others
    Some searching revealed the AU mark thought possibly an early version of the Augusta Arsenal stamp; normally AA.

Nice pistol.
    Likes (1) :

Posts liked by others
    Sent in an online FOIA request to the Army and got it back this week. My pistol was last used by the North Carolina Army National Guard (NCARNG). So, based on my previous experience in the Alabama ARNG years ago, this pistol and others like it spent drill weekends (when weapons were drawn) riding around in a holster, and only being fired for annual qualifications. So, just like a lot of ex-LEO pistols, carried lots and fired little. An obvious explanation to the holster wear and probability of the barrel being original, IMHO.

Also, probably like a lot of other US milsurps, the arsenal mark was probably just for an inspection, and not an overhaul, since so many original parts are still on it.

Posts liked by others
    Well that's interesting the AU is Augusta. I've seen lots of them on rifles through the years with no AU stamp. Makes sense with the location though.
    Glynn, my later pistol has checkered slide stop, hammer, and MSH. maybe getting to bottom of the bins?
    You have encouraged me to do an FOIA, and I'm in a line of 19 now. Hopefully Marine provenance!
    Likes (1) :
    Glynn863 (19th April 2022)

Posts liked by others
    Very cool RR pistol!
    Likes (1) :
    Glynn863 (10th May 2022)

Posts liked by others
    Very nice CMP pistol.
    Likes (1) :
    Glynn863 (11th May 2022)

Posts liked by others
    Looks great, I wish it could talk