Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet dilemma

Posts liked by others

Bullet dilemma

It looks like Berry's Bullets finally has some bullets in stock to sell to us peons. I have enough .45 bullets for awhile, but I could maybe use some in 9mm. But I also have a .38 Super guns, which takes the same diameter bullet as 9mm, so I'm trying to decide if I should double up, and standardize on one bullet for both "calibers."

I seem to have used up my 115-grain round-nose. For 9mm I have two boxes of 124-grain. And for .38 Super I have one box of 130-grain. Obviously, I can use either bullet in either round -- if I can find data. But I'm wondering if I should buy 147-grain bullets to use for both (once I have used up the existing stocks). And if I go with the 147-grain, do I get round-nose, hollow-point, or cone shaped flat-point?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I like the idea of standardizing. I tried to do that with powders just before the latest shortage. Reading reloading data until my eyes went cross I did not come up with a solution before nothing was available.

I don't know the ballistics of .38 Super but if they are close enough in performance with 9mm I would go with two types. Target bullets for practice and defensive bullets for well....

Posts liked by others
    I've been shooting 135 grain, .357, Plated, RNFP in 38 Spl, 9mm and 38 Sup for several years. Very accurate and as mentioned helps with inventory control. Cuts easy to score holes too!

I'm retired from competition now due to arthritis but I used to be a high volume competition shooter in revolver and semi-auto pistol games.

Smiles,
    Last edited by jjfitch; 31st January 2022 at 11:14.

Posts liked by others
    I think this one is going to have to come down to personal preference with a dash of practical consideration. Standardize and you cut complexity, but at least in my opinion, 147/150gr 9mm has such a different feel to it you'd have to give up the 115/124gr experience. Heaven forbid you get out of practice before the next shortage happens to be the 147gr whatever-point you choose and you're sort of back to square one.

I suppose you could have a system of (re)loading to a bullet of your choice where you decided to grab a virtual lifetime supply, then picking up whatever's on sale for factory ammo to keep some variety. Assuming you can get primers, which seem to be back on the same shelf where they used to keep the toilet paper shaped hole.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettID View Post
    I like the idea of standardizing. I tried to do that with powders just before the latest shortage. Reading reloading data until my eyes went cross I did not come up with a solution before nothing was available.

I don't know the ballistics of .38 Super but if they are close enough in performance with 9mm I would go with two types. Target bullets for practice and defensive bullets for well....
    I don't use reloads for self-defense purposes. I have read the arguments against doing so, by respected attorneys, and I'm not willing to take the risk.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    If anyone has reliable load data for 147-grain bullets in 9mm or .38 Super -- using Winchester 231 or Hodgdon HP-38 powder -- please let me know. The limited load recipes I've found so far aren't very similar in terms of starting charge or maximum charge. I'd like a few more data points to help me set some starting parameters.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    I don't use reloads for self-defense purposes. I have read the arguments against doing so, by respected attorneys, and I'm not willing to take the risk.
    OOPS! Momentary disconnect in my brain. You are correct. That is a big NOPE. I've read that also. Kind of retarded though. How can your reloads be "more" deadly than store bought. I know. I know. No common sense in the court is allowed.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    At the risk of drifting too far off-topic, I was thinking about why defense rounds are available to reloaders when I've seen the same advice everywhere I've looked. I think your case for reloading those is the the huge price difference. You could use defense reloads for range training only to better confirm they feed reliably with your carry pistol. I know I wince at every $1+ down the pipe no matter how necessary I know it is, but I also see a mentions that the 1911 is a little pickier on what it feeds.
    Likes (1) :
    BrettID (1st February 2022)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettID View Post
    OOPS! Momentary disconnect in my brain. You are correct. That is a big NOPE. I've read that also. Kind of retarded though. How can your reloads be "more" deadly than store bought. I know. I know. No common sense in the court is allowed.
    One of our members here, Frank Ettin, is an attorney who wrote a fairly detailed explanation of the problem a few years ago. Basically, it comes down to evidence. If there is any question whatsoever about the circumstances of the shooting -- like, say, how far you were from the shootee -- gunshot residue ("GSR") can play a critical role. Forensic reconstructionists can analyze the amount of gunshot residue one the shootee's clothing around the wound. Then they try to shoot identical ammunition out of an identical gun (your gun, since they will have it in evidence) from various distances until they get a match.

BUT ... if you used handloads, they don't know what was in the gun when you fired the shots. They may have been wimp loads or they have have been fireball loads. Your testimony as to what you the loads were carrying consisted of isn't admissible in court because it's not objective. On the other hand, if you shoot factory ammo they can ring up the factory and get some identical rounds with which to perform their tests. The ammo maker's records are admissible because they are produced by an uninterested third party, and objective.
    Hawkmoon
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (2nd February 2022)

Posts liked by others
    Not to derail. But along the same lines I also believe I've read it is a bad idea for me to use the 1911 I built for carry purposes either. Should it be used for self defense.

Back on topic; I've wanted to duplicate a round that performs the same as a SD round. But as far as I know a HST bullet is not available. I personally haven't done it, but a possibility is to chrono an SD round and then build a round with the same weight bullet that chrono's the same. Just a thought that I've personally had as an option to using up my SD ammo stock. Occaisionally I'll shoot one mag during a range visit.

Will be following this topic as I'm curious to what you and others come up with for a solution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast