Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Returning member here.

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Returning member here.

So it's been ten years since I was here, not that I was active much back then. I expect I will still mostly be a lurker now. But I bought a second 1911 (still have the one that brought me here back when), and had questions. The years between have mostly been filled with rifles, as I am no pistolero. If anything, my pistol skills have gotten worse as I aged. But even with dives into surplus rifles and MSRs, I always loved my ParaUSA GI Expert.

And now it has a partner, a Para Ordnance SSP in .38 Super. I had wanted a .38 Super for ages, and the local pawn shop had this one at a price too good to turn down. I've already put a basic set of rosewood grips on it (can't stand wraparounds) and a stainless mainspring housing. Still need to shoot it, though!

https://i.imgur.com/2wKZgFQ.jpg

Posts liked by others
    Welcome Back!!

How does 38 Super compare to 9 mm? As far as ballistics. I've never looked into 38 Super and never reloaded 9mm. Just curious.

Picture isn't showing for me.
    Last edited by BrettID; 20th March 2022 at 19:54.

Posts liked by others
    38 Super is roughly similar to 9mm +P or .357 in lighter bullet weights. If you want to push the limits with handloads, you can exceed 9mm +P+ performance. I have mostly been interested in it from a history standpoint, as it was designed by Browning himself as a hotter version of his 38 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks. Very interesting. I need some brain food today. I will go down that rabbit hole. I've already got enough variety in calibers. More than I can handle. At least I'll enjoy the ride. But I have contemplated a 1911 in a "different" caliber lately. Maybe 38 Super is the way!

Posts liked by others
    Welcome back, jhota. Good choices on your 1911s. I have owned more than one Para-Ordnance 1911 over the years, and that's what I used for competition before I sort of drifted away from that. I had hoped to get back into IDPA last year (shooting a Para, of course), but COVID-19 messed that up. This year is a possibility, but the nearest matches I know of are far enough away that I would have to get up at 06:00 to get there by starting time, and I'm not convinced it's worth it.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Looks much better with classic grips.

https://i.imgur.com/U4JcKlv.jpg