Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Springfield Ronin EMP Magazine Observation

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Thumbs up Springfield Ronin EMP Magazine Observation

Maybe this is easy to find for others, but I didn't come across it before I got my Ronin EMP 3:

The Mec-Gar magazine for these comes with a metal, dimpled follower. This was a very pleasing surprise to me, especially after reading all those 1911Tuner posts.

Springfield_Ronin_EMP3_Mec-Gar_Magazine_Top.jpg

Posts liked by others
    Yes, the mags do seem pretty well made, but have the extension base so it holds one more round, and makes the grip length as long as a full size GM, why not a flush model for the 3" model at least.

CAW
    “If it ain't broke, don't fix it' is the slogan of the complacent, the arrogant or the scared. It's an excuse for inaction, a call to non-arms.” Colin Powell
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (16th March 2022)

Last edited by CAWalter; 6th March 2022 at 21:30.

Posts liked by others
    I noticed the same thing and just thought about what the reasoning must have been. I thought a flush mag minus one round would have been a better choice or at least bith options. The other thing I wanted was a rounded/bobbed backstrap. Perhaps this is their compromise between the two since the extension rounds the end a bit.

Also somewhat surprising to me, I got the opportunity to see it next to another guy's Hellcat and with it's mag, both turn out to be the same height/width to my eye. I expected the Hellcat to be smaller.

Posts liked by others
    I've been meaning to post this as a question when I found out I can't get the mag springs separately. The standard single stack commander 9mm should have a tube with dimensions fit for a 9mm round, correct? If so, wouldn't a stock replacement spring be likely to fit here with perhaps a snip for length?

I partly ask because I was wise enough to buy 3 extra mags to complement the one that comes with it, but not wise enough to buy 6 and now I see them on backorder everywhere. I suppose if it's a keeper, I'm going to eventually want springs someday, and I think we're all generally on the same page about being aftermarket parts folks in a proprietary parts world.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    If so, wouldn't a stock replacement spring be likely to fit here with perhaps a snip for length?
    Maybe -- or maybe not.

Standard 9mm magazines for 1911s have a spacer running up the inside of the magazine tube to keep the rounds forward, so the spring is shorter fore-to-aft than magazine springs for .45 ACP and .38 Super. The EMP pistols don't have that spacer because Springfield made the entire pistol shorter by [essentially] cutting a slice out right up through the magazine well. My fuzzy memory is telling me the difference is 3/16 of an inch. The spacer in "standard" 9mm magazines isn't anywhere near 3/16 of an inch thick, so I'm not prepared to opine that they would fit in an EMP mag tube.

If I remember later this evening, I'll dig out a 9mm magazine and measure the fore-to-aft dimension of the spring.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I'd appreciate it greatly. If don't get to it, I'll probably throw a replacement spring into my next parts order for giggles. I don't currently own a regular 9mm 1911 in any size, but my spidey sense tells me I'll end up using it as my collection/addiction grows.

If only for my reference and an excuse to play with the calipers, I'm getting:

0.370" x 1.100"

and for what it's worth on a broken in spring, ~6.5" tall, looks like 13 coils tip to tip, with a little curly Q on the follower/top side.

Posts liked by others
    0.367" x 1.070" Check-Mate (OEM supplier for Colt)
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside