Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington Rand pistol ID

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Remington Rand pistol ID

Bought this a while back. I'm not a 1911 guy so I am not really sure about what I have. Inscription is
    Remington Rand Inc.
    Syracuse, New York

s/n 926xxx

Slide looks two tone, from ejection port forward is darker than the back part which matches the frame. Hammer is narrower than the other 1911 I own (which I'll post in a bit)
    Inspection mark under slide latch is faint, looks like FJA. Flaming bomb on right rear of frame.

If more info is needed please yell. Thanks fir your help.

IMG_0212.jpgSerial masked.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FloridaEd; 15th January 2022 at 16:55.

Posts liked by others
    Two-tone because only the front of the slide is heat treated and takes the Dulite finish differently.
    Flat sided hammer is cheaper to make.

Serial number and slide inscription with New York spelled out say it is a Type 1, made in 1942. The plastic grips without reinforcing rings around the screws is normal for the type. That is the least common of the three variations of Remington Rand and is very desirable to collectors. Don't mess with it, originality is important.
    Does it have a Colt barrel? There was a lot of swapping around of parts, especially as a new contractor came on line.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 15th January 2022 at 17:27.

Posts liked by others
    IMG_9350.jpgIMG_9353.jpg
    HS and P marks.
    No, I am not one to diddle an old gun. I have a couple of 1911's for shooting. Gold Cup and an ATI.

Posts liked by others
    High Standard barrel, might be a replacement.

Posts liked by others
    Is it worth trying to find a remington?

Posts liked by others
    Remington was not making their own barrels at the time, they were getting them from Colt or Springfield.
    A correct barrel would be scarce and expensive.
    Most 1911 collector frown on "correcting" guns and talk about "wear patterns."

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the forum. I would not change any parts.

I do believe the barrel possibly replaced since I see little blue wear on top of the chamber but the rest of the pistol has general wear from use.

A few early pistols have a milled trigger like this pistol but most have stamped triggers.

Please post a photo of the checkering pattern on the back of the main spring housing.

Posts liked by others
    IMG_9355.jpgMainspring Housing 1.jpg
    Here you go. Also a picture of the mark on the mag.
    Thanks for your help.
    Likes (1) :
    Ric4509 (18th January 2022)

Posts liked by others
    G = General Shaver. I think a subsidiary of Remington Rand. Can't help on the checkering.

Posts liked by others
    Checkering correct for that serial.
    Likes (2) :
    bayoned (22nd January 2022), Ric4509 (18th January 2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast