Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citadel 1911/ Should I?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Citadel 1911/ Should I?

As I sit here enjoying my extra day off this week I decided to peruse the local classifieds. Specifically for 1911's as I often do. Because you never know when a deal will pop up.

And what d'ya know; a Citadel 1911 for $475 is for sale. Since I have kids and Christmas was just last week, the price point for me is good.

Seller got it in a trade about 5 years ago and hasn't shot it much. It has holster wear and round count is unknown.

I've got a RIA and did a build (sarco) with an Armscor slide kit. I believe the workmanship to be just fine for my use. Other than Citadel is Armscor like Rock Island is, I know nothing else. Some light reading after an internet search revealed plenty of folks are happy with their Citadel 1911.

I'm a "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" type person most of the time. And some of the time I like to tinker with stuff. I'm thinking the Citadel could be fun to tinker with at its for sale price. What do ya'll think??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    That looks like a decent price, and the pistol has the better sights rather than "GI" sights. I'd go for it.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    That looks like a decent price, and the pistol has the better sights rather than "GI" sights. I'd go for it.
    I agree and unless I find something when handling it that is a deal breaker I will bring it home. Like a cracked/deformed frame or slide. Everything else is replaceable.

Posts liked by others
    Slides are replaceable. Ask the U.S. Army.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (2) :
    MuyModesto (5th March 2022), Rick McC. (4th January 2022)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Slides are replaceable. Ask the U.S. Army.
    Oh yah, true enough. Topic for another day, but I have read about the older service pistols having lesser quality metal than what we have today and they wore out or broke frequently. In the same vein of that conversation it was recommended to not shoot the heck out of an old service pistol. I chuckled to myself, cuz if it breaks it needed fixing or replacing anyways. But then again I do not own a high doller collectible. My old Rem.Rand with its flared ejection port would be improved if I had to replace the slide with a more correct, unmolested version. Again another topic. I'll never wear it out and the other problems with the RR make it a leave it as is and shoot the old thing the way I found it.

Thanks for responding Hawkmoon. The site seems a bit of a ghost town these days. Holidays not withstanding. Goes in bursts, like my own posting more or less.

cheers

p.s. Seller of the Citadel lives a bit of a drive from me, but will be in my town for an appointment on the 10th. That is when we'll meet up.
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (4th January 2022)

Last edited by BrettID; 3rd January 2022 at 09:53.

Posts liked by others
    Let us know how things turn out.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Looking forward to a "new" gun. It has been a year since my last one.

Earliest range report that I could give, providing the weather is hospitable, will be the 16th. The road to the range could be too deep with snow. We shall see...

Posts liked by others
    Happy new to me gun day. Today. Finally connected with seller.

Passes safety checks. Honest holster wear. Haven't field stripped it yet. But doesn't appear to be worn out.

Other thnan plastic MSH and FLGR. No plans to modify. Just shoot it for now. May get around to changing out mentioned parts. Or not.

Good "truck gun". All my other 1911's are too pretty for that or too sentimental.

Posts liked by others
    Nice pistol. I have a Citadel frame with a 70 series Colt Combat Commander slide.
    Likes (1) :
    BrettID (27th January 2022)

Posts liked by others
    I did pop the slide off the other night to see how the Citadel looked inside. Hooey filthy! It is worse than the outside.

I just don't get it. Why do people put a dirty gun up for sale? Fairly common in my neck of the woods.

Curious to know if anyone knows the history on Citadel better than I do. From what I gather Citadel is imported by "legacy" , currently. And the Citadel 1911's were first imported in 2009. This example is only a 4 digit serial number. The import stamp is "APINTL" Parumph, NV.

High of 29 degrees (F) on Sunday. Range should be wide open. Providing I can motivate myself to head out into the cold. I work outside. In the cold. Three hours before daylight. So usually on my days off I sleep in and enjoy being warm.

Anyways. Off to another forum section..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast