Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Feeding Failures: Shooters Or Magazines At Fault?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Feeding Failures: Shooters Or Magazines At Fault?

Please see the four photos of the 1911's that are in the following old threads:

https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...ound%20issuesf (Posting #67).

https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...eding-Failures (Posting #6).

I mean no offense whatsoever to both of the original posters. Is it possible that these feeding failures are due to the shooters occasionally relaxing their grips on the pistols? Or, does it indicate that a magazine problem is present? Just curious. Thanks.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by mr alexander View Post
    I mean no offense whatsoever to both of the original posters. Is it possible that these feeding failures are due to the shooters occasionally relaxing their grips on the pistols? Or, does it indicate that a magazine problem is present? Just curious. Thanks.
    "relaxing their grips" = "limp wristing."

Some 1911s (and some other pistols types, as well) are susceptible to limp wristing issues. If they are susceptible, they are defective and should be serviced.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I have a different take on "limp wristing".

As we know, malfunctions commonly related to limp wristing (e.g bolt-over-base malfunctions, failure-to-lock-open after the last round) indicate a mismatch between the strength of the recoil spring and the shooter's ability to resist the pistol's recoil. I look at this as an opportunity to modify the pistol, not the shooter.

My wife and I shoot IDPA matches, she is the coach of the high school fitness team, rides at least four times a week with the local bicycle club, runs marathons, can punch out 50 man push ups at will, and has run a full Iron Man. Yet, she will get limp wrist related malfunctions when using a 1911 that I've set up for myself no matter how rigidly she holds the pistol. My greater body mass and upper body strength are the difference. So, her .45 1911 uses a lighter recoil spring than mine, a lighter mainspring, and a rounded firing pin stop.

One of the range tests I run after completing a 1911 involves me holding the pistol as loosely as I can in an attempt to induce a limp wrist malfunction. If a malfunction occurs, I put in a lighter recoil spring and test fire again. I continue the process until no malfunctions occur. At that point I'm confident the pistol will run in a worst case scenario where I'm balancing on one foot, off balance, in a driving rain, weak hand only, and I'm hungry.

Just my two cents.

I like this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsewsolPyBU

Posts liked by others

1911's and Limp Wrist Problems

Very Interesting ! My question is regarding a recoil spring & reducing it down more , Until It doesn't malfunction anymore ? Won't going too low of spring poundage , induce insufficient power to properly feed and eject the rounds then ? I know that the norm is about 16 lbs & higher for the pro shooters for a much quicker actuation . One last question : I noticed that when replacing a Wolf recoil spring ,
    It comes along with a Firing Pin Spring . Do these have to match or definitely be installed at the same time ? I hope I stated this correctly , Thank You !
    Expect The Unexpected , You May Live Longer
    Last edited by M60teamleader; 22nd December 2021 at 01:33. Reason: forgot to add one other Question

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by M60teamleader View Post
    Very Interesting ! My question is regarding a recoil spring & reducing it down more , Until It doesn't malfunction anymore ?
    This should probably be its own thread but since you asked . . .

Won't going too low of spring poundage , induce insufficient power to properly feed and eject the rounds then ?
    The short answer is yes. The longer answer is that a lighter recoil spring will not negatively affect ejection other than it can result in the brass being ejected more vigorously. Also, a 1911 that has all the correct geometry shouldn't have any problem feeding using recoil springs as light as 9lbs. However, this is not a hard and fast rule and depends on many factors such as the strength of the magazine spring, how the barrel is fit, and the degree to which the various internal parts apply friction to the mechanism. Still, a 5" .45 1911 should function perfectly with a 12lb recoil spring.

I know that the norm is about 16 lbs & higher for the pro shooters for a much quicker actuation.
    Competition shooters tune their pistols to suit their tastes. Generally speaking, they want their pistols to shoot as flat as possible i.e. they want the sights to return to target as quickly as possible. Very often this means using the lightest possible recoil spring consistent with 100% functioning. But it's not the recoil spring alone they tweak. It's also the mainspring and shape of the firing pin stop. So it's a balancing act involving multiple factors.

I noticed that when replacing a Wolf recoil spring, it comes along with a Firing Pin Spring . Do these have to match or definitely be installed at the same time?
    They are not a matched set. You should replace the firing pin spring at the same time as the recoil spring.

The video at the link below may be of some interest.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUecHstU4QQ
    Likes (1) :
    pickax (10th January 2022)

Posts liked by others
    Ok , Thanks for the great video ! When i read your post , recoil springs and mentioning going lighter , is why i posted my message to you . Maybe it should have been in another new thread , but i thought it was generally fine . I'm glad that you gave me all the information however & do appreciate it .
    Expect The Unexpected , You May Live Longer

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by M60teamleader View Post
    I'm glad that you gave me all the information however & do appreciate it .
    No worries. We're all here to help each other.
    Likes (1) :
    M60teamleader (22nd December 2021)