Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

View Poll Results: Is there a market for a book about freeware?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - in a printed edition

2 100.00%
  • Yes - in an e-Book edition

1 50.00%
  • No way, Jose

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Market research for a book

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Market research for a book

I'm looking for some feedback on a potential book concept. I'm not a master of science fiction, or any fiction genre. I enjoy writing, but I seem to be more of an explainer than a creator. Having lived on a rather limited (and limiting) budget for a number of years, I have become a huge fan of freeware software. Although some freeware is complete dreck, some of it is really excellent.

I don't know how many people are even aware of freeware, or just how prolific the freeware community is. Since I use several freeware programs in my home office (and could use more if I shed a few commercial programs that I still use), I have what may be a better appreciation than most for what's out there. The thought occurred to me that there might be a potential market for a book informing people who might be looking to set up a home office or small business on a tight budget of what programs are out there that can be used to equip a home office -- for free or nearly free.

Does anyone think there would be a market for such a book? Please cast your votes above.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 13th December 2021 at 00:36.

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon...I am sure if the book is well written and informative there would be an interest in it given how many people are now working from home. I think I can suggest something that may be added to your book. My wife is a CPA and worked for a University and oversaw donations from alumni and saw to it that the money was distributed properly. When the coronavirus hit and she had to work from home, she ran into no end of computer problems and technical issues. She received little or no support. The upshot of it all was that she decided to retire and not deal with the problem since working from home seemed to be a long term process and at this point in life she was only part time. I am sure a section on problems a person may face and how to overcome them would be helpful.

Posts liked by others
    That's an interesting insight -- thanks for the thought.

If I decide to go ahead with the book, I may reach out to you for more specific about just what sort of issues your wife encountered. I know some people who are now working from home, either part of the time or all of the time, and there's no question that the employers need to be on top of their game if they want to have it work.

Its even worse for consultants, because consultants have to be able to interface with multiple client systems. YIKES!
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    M60teamleader (22nd December 2021)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 22nd December 2021 at 20:30.

Posts liked by others
    This is and interesting post & one I wasn't aware of . It's a shame what occurred with your wife !
    Expect The Unexpected , You May Live Longer