Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 1911.....9mm to 38 Super conversion

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

1911.....9mm to 38 Super conversion

Bottom line up front : Conversion 9mm caliber 1911 to 38 Super was successful, cost 39 dollars for barrel, 18 dollars for Mec Gar magazine and works like a charm.

For half a century I have heard praise for 38 Super 1911's and never got around to buying one but always wondered ...did I miss something. So when CDNN had SIG manufacture stainless steel 1911 barrels in 38 Super up for 39 bucks, I ordered one and installed it on my 9mm 1911. Took a small amount of fitting barrel so 9mm extractor would work but beyond that filing (minor hand work...totally easy), the pistol with Mec Gar mags works like a charm with 38 Super ammo.

Horse traded for 38 super brass...not that common to find but got more than enough for a few years serious shooting. Been handloading for the 38 Super and no issues at all.

Now....truth be told, all I achieved beyond chasing my curiosity about 38 super was a less anemic 9mm shooting 1911. I'm owning having done all of this but I got to question why I thought 38 Super was a rainbow to chase. Its a bit finicky to hand load for but I can deal with that. Its the end state I flog myself about....the pistol is no more accurate than when it was in 9mm caliber and at best only marginally more effective than 9mm so why did I bother doing this.

Not out much money, didn't achieve anything other than finding out for half a century I was missing Nothing. I'm a 45acp guy, don't much like 9mm so having a "better 9mm" which is what the 38 Super is---- just doesn't do much for me.

Easy conversion and economical if you got the itch to do it. Just that at the end of the project you own a caliber in the dust bin of history and that is a place it probably deserved to be but don't get me wrong, I like 38 super for self defense a lot better than 9mm but thankfully I don't have to make that choice.................I own plenty of 45 acp 1911's which do the job superbly.
    Last edited by milprileb; 11th December 2021 at 09:17.

Posts liked by others
    Congratulations on your conversion success. I started on that route in the early 80s with my Colt Combat Commander .45. after reading a Guns and Ammo article on the subject, I bought two blued Colt Commander slides in .38 Super and 9 mm from then Sherwood International in Northridge (although either caliber slide would have worked for both caliber barrels) and Bar-Sto barrels in .45 acp, .38 Super and 9mm (the late great Irving Stone wrote up my orders himself from his old Burbank, Ca. shop). After a month, my pistol and the fitted barrels and slides were shipped back to me from Irv's new shop in Twenty-nine Palms. I enjoyed the conversions but soon got tired of switching slide/barrel setups and nearly losing recoil spring plugs being jettisoned downrange landing among thousands of empty casings 😰🥴. So I built two separate pistols in .38 Super and 9 mm with ODI double action (Seecamp system) SS receivers and other parts; back then the Shotgun News was a great resource for any gun-related project. Fast forward to February, 2019; I acquired a used full size Rock Island Armory 1911 in .38 Super, non-supported barrel. As an alternative low cost ammunition solution, I got a Dan Swenson 5" semi drop-in 9 mm from Midway, U.S.A. and the drop in conversion worked flawlessly. After a silimlar successful conversion project with my EAA Witness pistol, I ordered a Rock Island Pro 1911 slide in 10 mm with low profile adjustable sights from Hooper Gun Works and selected internal parts and Swenson barrels in 10 mm and .40 S&W, again, from Midway. The extractor is key: it had to be from Ed Brown. Another successful drop-in conversion, no gunsmith fitting necessary, with all four calibers feeding, firing, extracting and ejecting from the Rock Island receiver mated to a Rock Island Pro slide. But I opted to use the 9mm barrel with the original G.I. type slide since the 9 mm case head fits loose on the Pro slide breechface and extraction/ejection could be intermittent problems. Happy conversions.

Posts liked by others
    milprileb - I'm curious what make is your 9mm? Correct me if I'm wrong CDNNs SIG .38Super barrel you bought from them is ramped right? Meaning your 9mm 1911 is also using a 9mm ramped barrel. If so how was the fit?