Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Springfield's recent introduction of it High-Power

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Springfield's recent introduction of it High-Power

American Rifleman had a review of Springfield's recent introduction of its "version" of the High Power (SA-35).

Not knowing a thing about (I think) Browning's "last" firearm design I think it was a improved version of the 1911.

I'm I correct? If so, was the HP really a better firearm? (not a 9mm vs .45 debate)

Posts liked by others
    Different does not mean better.

The P-35 has some features that evaded active 1911 patents (licensed to Colt) at the time Browning was first working on the Hi Power, but it isn't an "improved" 1911 design other than increased magazine capacity. Even the original name "Grande Puissance" is a reference to the magazine capacity that is almost double the capacity of semiauto pistols before the HP. If 13 rounds instead of 7 makes a handgun "better" then it is an "improvement". Dieudonne SaiveIt took over and completed development after Browning's passing. The trigger action/function has almost nothing in common with the 1911. Rather than a bow around the magazine in the grip, the linkage goes from the trigger up into the slide to a lever located there to free up space in the grip for a double stack magazine. A consequence of this is that the trigger cannot be refined the way the trigger in a 1911 can.

The Springfield is the 3rd copy of the HP in the past 5 years. The other 2 were from Turkey. Hungarian copies by FEG and Kareen in Isreal decades ago give nearly the same performance and reliablity of the original Browning/FN versions; all 3 (including Springfield) of the newer versions have had hiccups in production quality. A used FN/Browning, a FEG or Kareen is more likely to be a better buy.

Springfield has kept actual manufacturing details private and many suspect they are assembled in US from parts manufactured elsewhere. The facts remain to be seen.

I own 3 Hi Powers, they are my favorite shooters in 9mm.
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (12th December 2021)

Posts liked by others
    After reading the American Rifleman article, it convinced me to add this one to my collection. My 1911s include a Colt Competition, Auto Ordnance (1980 - Kahr), and a customized SA 1911A1. What interested me in SA's new SA-35 was the improvements listed in the article. First and foremost SA's slide is forged. I've read the frame may or may not be forged. Maybe someone can comment on that further? The SA-35 is also +P rated where the older HPs are not. The rest of the points that interest me include the enhanced sites, elimination of the magazine disconnect safety, recontoured hammer, reshaped thumb-safety, beveled mag well, and improved trigger pull. The author, Justin Dyal, a field editor for AR, says he measured the pull fairly consistently at just shy of 5 lbs. My custom SA 1911A1 breaks at 4.5 lbs which is perfect for me. My favorite and most accurate non-1911 shooter is my SIG P-225 with a barrel length of 4.5". The SA-35 has a similar barrel length. Another point that people may prefer is that SA engineered it with a "traditional firing pin arrangement devoid of so-called Series 80 safety components".

Right now, these guns are listed on GB at outrageous prices, some over $1000. I called up my local LGS and have one on order for $725 which reflects a $75 premium. They are also waving the transfer fee and shipping so I'm ok with it. They're back-ordered everywhere. It'll probably take a couple months to get it but I'm really looking forward to adding this piece to my safe.

Including a few strategic photos from the magazine article: "Springfield's SA-35 High Power" by Justin Dyal, American Rifleman, December 2021
    Reason: Copyrighted material removed

Posts liked by others
    A lot of advertising hype. The "recontored" hammer is common on many HP's. Many people comment that they cannot reach the safety, it turns out to be a repeated complaint. There is no HP with Series 80 components. There are no problems with HP slides, the forged slide means nothing. Its true that other HP's are not +P rated; no one ever submitted one for +P testing, but its been common practice for owners who prefered it to use them without problems.
    Last edited by Mark75H; 11th December 2021 at 11:12.

Posts liked by others
    And I removed the mag safeties from mine with a hammer and punch. No rocket science required.
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (12th December 2021)

Posts liked by others
    I love the Browning Hi Power! One of my most treasured handguns is an FN model that I purchased in 1986. In 1992 I sent it to Novak Custom where his BHP expert, Kurt Wickham, built it into their "Spec Ops". I believe the mods are based on the duty gun of the FBI National-level HRT pistol.
    While excited to see Springfield release "their" version, the price is keeping me from adding to my arsenal. Also a new design (of any machinery) usually has some kinks to work out, and perhaps this new offering will have a couple glitches the factory will work out. Time will tell. It's on my "acquisitions list"!
    Regarding the magazine disconnect. Originally I removed mine to smooth up the trigger. After reading several articles about the possible ramification of "deliberately removing a manufacturer safety feature" during courtroom proceedings following a self-defense use, I reinstalled it.
    Likes (1) :
    Mark75H (11th December 2021)

Last edited by sfrgrMD; 11th December 2021 at 12:50.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the added comments Mark. I'm new to the High Power myself and look forward to comparing it with my 1911s.

@PTF18: Here's a easy read on the HP comparisons. I'm not sure how old the article is but the author reflects some on what Mark also mentioned. Firearms Forum Article - 1911 vs. Hi-Power - From: Mark Freburg

That said, I love my 1911s and appreciate the WWI design. It's going to be interesting to compare and contrast it with the WWII (debatable) improvements. Thinner, lighter, more rounds, no grip safety.. I'm kind of excited to try it out.
    Likes (1) :
    Mark75H (11th December 2021)

Last edited by AustinWiseguy; 11th December 2021 at 12:34. Reason: Formatting, clarity

Posts liked by others
    Thank you all for the education. The SA-35 certainly looks "inviting" but perhaps I'll wait and see.... Now back to my .45 ACP

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ptf18 View Post
    American Rifleman had a review of Springfield's recent introduction of its "version" of the High Power (SA-35).

Not knowing a thing about (I think) Browning's "last" firearm design I think it was a improved version of the 1911.

I'm I correct? If so, was the HP really a better firearm? (not a 9mm vs .45 debate)
    Whether or not the Hi-Power is a better pistol than the 1911 is open to considerable debate. What is not open to debate is that Browning did not undertake the design with the intention of building a better mousetrap.

When Browning sold the design of the M1911 to Colt, he also sold to Colt the patents that went along with the design. That included the barrel link. Then FN in Europe hired John Browning to design a new pistol for them, in 9mm. Because Colt owned the patents associated with the M1911, Browning could not use any of those patented features in the new pistol. Thus, in a nutshell, the design of the Hi-Power was driven primarily by two things: It had to be in 9mm, and it couldn't infringe on any of the 1911 patents.

And, of course, John Browning died before the design of the Hi-Power was finished. The design was taken over and completed by Dieudonné Saive.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (2) :
    AustinWiseguy (12th December 2021), Rick McC. (12th December 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinWiseguy View Post
    That said, I love my 1911s and appreciate the WWI design. It's going to be interesting to compare and contrast it with the WWII (debatable) improvements. Thinner, lighter, more rounds, no grip safety.. I'm kind of excited to try it out.
    The Hi-Power was not created for WW2. FN was (and is) a Belgian company. Although the pistol was introduced in 1935, before the start of WW2, Browning died in 1926 so the concept for the Hi-Power had been born at least a decade earlier than when it reached production.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (2) :
    Mark75H (12th December 2021), Rick McC. (12th December 2021)