Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: How do you buy your in-demand guns?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Question How do you buy your in-demand guns?

The thread on Springfield's new SA-35 and a couple of mentions of folks ordering one got me thinking: When you want a new (or older for that matter) popular gun, how do you get your hands on one?

The couple of times I've picked up a gun, I lurked around big box stores and looked at online inventory for local chains. I have a feeling there's a much better way. The few manufacturer's websites I've browsed only seem to have directories showing every range, sporting goods store and feed lot in the nation. Can any LGS special order for you, do they have particular relationships, do you shop the big online sites like armslist or is there something else I'm totally missing?

Posts liked by others
    I prefer to support smaller, local gun shops. That sometimes means I can't get the newest toy immediately because the small shops don't stock many models, and have to order them from a distributor --who may or may not have it in stock.

The benefit, beyond feeling better about myself for supporting a local business, is that I've been buying from the samne guy for 20 years, and he generally gives me prices that most other purchase options can't match.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (10th December 2021)

Posts liked by others
    I am in line with Hawkmoon. There are 3 gunshops that I frequent. One has been operated by the same family since the 1950's, for a small shop they have a large collection plus a website listing current inventory. They also have a full gunsmithing shop in the basement. Another was purchased from a previous owner who was in business since the 1960's...they changed the name and expanded but maintained the same friendly atmosphere and maintained the same staff. The last is a shop at a local range that has a limited stock of firearm inventory, but will order what you want. Prior to the recent shortages, this particular small shop was a reloading Nirvana that had a huge reloading inventory. All three places have staff who are well versed in firearms and reloading and you see the same staff year to year. Another plus is that none of these places raised their prices beyond what is reasonable given the current shortages.

Posts liked by others
    I concur with the previous posters. I too use 3 small local shops. One in particular is savvy with his trades and has an excellent memory. I once told him I was looking for a Ruger 3 screw BH in 45 Colt. And about 4 months later I received a call that one had come in to his shop.

As soon as I got off the phone I drove straight over to the gun shop. It was a busy day. It was packed with shoppers. The owner spotted me as I walked in the door and called me out by name and told me to come to the back room. Much to the chagrin of the 4 deep customers at the counter I walked on by with many eyes upon my back, to the "back room". An entire gun collection was spread out atop 4 or 5 tables. A widow had wanted to unload her passed husbands collection in one single sale. The gun store owner had made the purchase. We perused the recently arrived collection together and he asked me my advice for values. Some I knew, most I didn't. But among the many guns was in fact a 3 screw Blackhawk in 45 Colt. A deal was made with a handshake and I returned to the store a few days later after the collection had been logged into inventory. I went home a happy customer. Many referrals were made because of that customer service.

I try to spread the shopping out to the other two gun shops. They are great with FFL transfers from certain vendors since they each have their FFL on file with various retailers. And their distributor networks are different. Meaning one may be able to get a hard to find gun in stock than the other shop.

good luck
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (4th January 2022)

Posts liked by others
    I’ve only bought from two LGS (one gets 95+% of my business) over the last 15+ years, with a few exceptions.
    I have two Wilsons that I ordered direct, a stainless Tactical Carry with several upgrades, and a lightly upgraded EDC X9. The other is a Baer Comanche that I got from CJ (Crazy John) at 1911Heaven.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 4th January 2022 at 21:12.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for all the advice. This really helped me think it through. I may have gone a little too small and found a shop that didn't quite have what I wanted (mostly plastic) but recommended I give gunbroker a try. I got what I was looking for and it turns out I ended up supporting 2 more LGSs across the country in the process. I suppose if nothing else, I hope they've all made a little on shipping, handling and processing fees. As soon as I think I get the idea of the 1911 portrait, I'll post to the Springfield thread. With the collection having doubled in size, something tells me I'll need to wait until 2023 before I try to grow it any more, lest I anger the family accountant.
    Likes (1) :
    BrettID (12th January 2022)

Posts liked by others
    I buy locally.
    Colt 1911, S&W revolvers, Winchester rifles