Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Happy Thanksgiving
to all those who celebrate it.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Primers escaping my press

Posts liked by others

Question Primers escaping my press

Newbie Murray here as I continue my journey. It's day 1 of decapping on the new Lee Turret press after following the excellent cleaning advice here.

My problem tonight is a few of the primers are escaping the machine to vanish somewhere on the garage floor (they're surprisingly bouncy). Is there anything obviously wrong you can spot with my setup, or is this par for the course? Arrow where the little guys are popping out. I've found holding a finger over that spot seems to help, but something seems mildly unsafe about it even at turtle speed - just feels like a bad habit in the making. Hope the picture is bigger when it uploads and many thanks in advance!

escaping_primers.jpg

Probably not relevant extra info just in case:
    Lee Classic Turret Press
    Lee 3-die set for 45 ACP
    Operating as a single stage press so I can go slow and watch/learn
    Armscor brass (my own)
    Lemishine + Dawn + Ultrasonic: thank you .45s_r_best, niemi24s, noylj
    100% 2x4 table of my own construction. I'm sorta proud of how the miters turned out.

Posts liked by others
    The Lee Turret Press does just dump the primers out. That's what it does. I've never considered it to be primers "escaping" the press. I just let them pile up, and eventually they overflow into a tall kitchen trash can I have set under the edge of my bench. Every once in awhile I may remember to brush the pile in the general direction of the trash can.

Yiou are not doing anything wrong.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 30th October 2021 at 13:58.

Posts liked by others
    Even my single stage RCBS press would do that until I got tired of spent primers ending up in my shoes, on the floor, etc. The solution was the gizmo shown below:
    P(07)C0200149a Primer Catcher Post1.jpg
    To me, designing and constructing gizmos is most of the fun of this hobby.
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Last edited by niemi24s; 30th October 2021 at 13:22.

Posts liked by others
    All I can say is WOW! I bet you could sell that! I tip my hat to you sir!

Posts liked by others
    I'll second that WOW, and thank you both for the feedback. I must've fallen for the old marketing trick when I read that the primers magically go where they're supposed to go. I'll report back on any gizmos I come up with to deal with the problem, too.

Posts liked by others
    Wait -- is that the cast-iron Classic Turret Press, or the Value model?

If it's the Classic, the ram should be drilled all the way through and there should be a way to attach a catch tube to the bottom of the ram. See page 3 of your instruction sheet.

Your photo doesn't show the primer arm attached to the ram. That may be why primers are popping out the side.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    slohunter (11th November 2021)

Posts liked by others
    The only provision this 1960 vintage press has for catching primers is a cast aluminum U-shaped tray that fits atop the base... https://www.ebay.com/itm/12481827359...cAAOSwVexg9tt2

Even with the priming arm installed, many of the spent primers bounce out of the tray and the ram is not drilled through. I thinks it's the RCBS Junior model. Built like a brick sit-house!
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    It's the Classic and Doh! I think you got it. I didn't get to the priming part until last night. Now that I figured out how the priming arm fits in (conveniently covering up that hole) and functions, it looks like the old primers should go where they should more often. I do have the tube attached at the bottom where they were going most of the time. When I get through my latest cleaned/deprimed batch, I'll wash up another and you can take my silence as confirmation my problem is solved.

Round #1 looks successfully loaded. A few more and it's time for a range weekend to deploy the chronograph that will hopefully arrive on Friday. Between what I've been reading from all of you here and the bullet/powder/die documentation, hopefully I got it all close enough to start homing in on a good, working load.

Here's a baby picture from the proud father. She weighed in at 325.2gn and 1.2730", 6.0gn Hodgdon CFE, 230gn X-Treme Bullets Plated RN with a large CCI primer. I neglected the extra step of weighing before/after dropping power, but I'll definitely check round #2. I'm surmising this is a solidly conservative starting point with plenty of room to grow. I'll almost certainly have the RO look over my shoulder anyway just in case.
    round000001.jpg
    I like the looks of the RCBS press, btw. Shortly after getting this one, a relation revealed the existence of at least two presses in the family sitting around collecting dust. One of them is a single stage like that. I'll have to take a closer look next time and find out what exactly they are.