Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Please help identify this M1911a1

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Please help identify this M1911a1

Would appreicate some input from the experienced fellas here as to what she is. I checked out the coolgunsite and as best as I can tell, it's an Ithaca frame, 1945 production with all Ithaca parts. The grips and magazine are post war. The slide is a Remingtion Rand, also later production with a RR or Ithaca barrel. I don't see any Arsenal Rebuild markings unless I'm missing them. The FJA on the frame is an inspectors stamp I believe.

The grips appear to be plastic. In WWII, would they have been plastic as well, or wood? I'd like to get a set of "correct" grips and magazine for it.

I took her to the range, put a few magazines through. Performed flawlessly like I knew she would! Really brought back some memories. I have some modern 1911's, but there's just something about an old war horse. Really glad I took the plunge! I wanted one like I carried in the Army, and as best as I can remember, this one is just like it finish wise. It's brought back a lot of memories.https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am9VJmN-Eju1g81-...QZ4Kg?e=tPKWvH
    Mopar guy - Looking for clean rust free 69 Charger or parts car.
    www.dixierestorationparts.com
    Last edited by A34; 9th October 2021 at 19:18.

Posts liked by others
    Colt WWII era barrel. Acceptable for WWII+ era rebuilds unless you just desire a High Standard or Flannery barrel.

Post Vietnam magazine. Also acceptable for a rebuild unless you just desire WWII era. WWII era magazines not difficult to find.

Plastic grips issued when that frame made. These postwar grips might be USGI but I've seen those faked; the color looks a little off but might be just the photos. Correct WWII plastic grips also not difficult to find.

Seven rib mainspring housing indicates late Colt or Ithaca issue made by Cayuga Motors. Also acceptable for rebuilds.

Nice pistol; not all rebuilds have arsenal stamps. Most pistols refurbished at lower echelons don't have rebuild marks.
    Likes (2) :
    A34 (10th October 2021), Rick McC. (12th December 2021)

Last edited by Doran; 10th October 2021 at 03:18.

Posts liked by others
    Thank you sir!
    Mopar guy - Looking for clean rust free 69 Charger or parts car.
    www.dixierestorationparts.com

Posts liked by others
    Post WWII mag - Checkmate Gov't contract - Vietnam & post Vietnam
    Remington Rand mag - Toe marked with 'G' for General Shaver

Remington-Rand_Mag_Toe_Marking.jpg
    Likes (1) :
    A34 (11th December 2021)