Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Happy Thanksgiving
to all those who celebrate it.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Kart barrel installation

Posts liked by others

Kart barrel installation

For those of you who are skilled armorers and gunsmiths, feel free to skip over this. If, like me, you're in the "if I can do it, anyone can" category, well, I'm tracking my foray back into 1911 stuff. The first task is to install a Kart XACT fit barrel.

Dealing with Kart was a breeze; they answered my questions and the price sheet on the web is good. If you're a veteran, contact them for a discount.

On the theory that "more tools" is a good thing, and destroying a $200 barrel because I skimped on tools is a bad thing, I got the installation kit. The instructions are pretty good, though I have to re-learn the terms for things. Reading the instructions a few times should pay off, and I'm doing that.

The first challenge came with the bench bushing. My Sistema had a lot of old flash from a previous front site stake job. Energetic application of some 330 grit sandpaper resolved the issue, and I'm pausing to re-read the directions again. Looks like I may need to take some off the side of the hood.

Posts liked by others
    Lots of "file a little, re-mark a lot" and I have full slide forward with the bench bushing. The directions say to move to the provided match bushing, but that sucker just doesn't want to go in and out. Any reason not to use lapping compound or similar to smooth it out? What compound would you recommend, and what grit?

I'm not looking for a tack driver, but to replace the original barrel and to have a bit of pride in craftsmanship. I'd prefer a smooth fitting bushing that comes out without tools to a tight fit with an extra half-inch accuracy at fifty yards.

Posts liked by others
    I did the exact same thing as you with the exact fit barrel. When I got to barrel bushing I made rubber collet on a 3/8’ bolt to put in an electric drill to spin the bushing and file and sand it down to the proper diameter and keep it round and even. Go slowly of course and try often. Mine is still very tight but I can remove it by hand. The real accuracy comes from the barrel lugs and headspace extension, so just nicely snug will do everything you’re going to need. Good luck!

BTW: I didn’t do anything to the lug that locks the bushing into the slide because it fit once I could get the bushing to go into the slide. Just reducing the diameter until it fit was sufficient. Hope this helps.
    Likes (1) :
    leam (8th October 2021)

Last edited by Firecontrol90; 3rd October 2021 at 09:09. Reason: Additional info

Posts liked by others
    The bushing supplied with that barrel is intended to be gunsmith fitted. The only part of the bushing that is pre-fitted is the bushing bore diameter. You still have to fit the outer diameter to the slide, and provide clearance in the bushing bore for barrel linkup.

Note that even when this is done properly, the bushing may turn easily in the slide when installed by itself, but will not turn easily with the barrel installed and in battery.

Have you tried the gun's original bushing with the Kart barrel? Does it hold the muzzle solidly in position with the slide forward in battery?

-
    Likes (1) :
    leam (8th October 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Just tried the original bushing, and it seems like a nicely tight fit. Goes into battery, and I'll run a few rounds through it to settle things in.

Thanks, y'all!