Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 460 Rowland case gauge

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    It's not a $30 gauge if nobody sells one for $30.
    As I said, I think I could make a $30 gauge work. If not, I would just plunk.

That's because it's made to SAAMI minimum dimensions. If a cartridge will fit in the EGW gauge, it should chamber in any pistol of that caliber. As far as I know, Wilson doesn't offer cartridge (chamber) gauges, only case gauges. Don't know about Lyman or Dillon. I use Wilson for case gauges and EGW for cartridge gauges.
    Actually, Wilson DOES make what they call a Pistol Max Gauge
    Measures Max Case Length
    Measures Max Body Diameters
    Measures Overall Round SAAMI

https://lewilson.com/pistol-max-gage

Works fine.
    As I said, the EGW is of no use to me, they say minimum, I say undersize and with no leade.

Posts liked by others
    I'm fairly certain the EGW gauges do include the leade. They are made using Clymer chamber reamers, and I believe the Clymer reamers do the leade at the same time they do the chamber. But it is a SAAMI minimum for all dimensions.

To me that's the benefit. I have more than one 1911, so I need to know tyhat my reloads will work in all of them.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Checking my EGW:
    It does show a leade(s) under a good light but not as pronounced as the others.
    The .45 hole passes plated RN, a coated RN without shoulder, and JHP freely. A cast SWC and a coated RN with a bit of shoulder are slightly sticky. All are free in my Wilson.
    The 9mm hole passes factory but neither of my usual reloads, a plated RN or a coated RN with shoulder; both of which are OK in a Lyman gauge.
    Since anything that passes the .45 Wilson or 9mm Lyman will plunk and shoot in all my pistol chambers, I don't see a point in the tighter EGW.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12