Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Problem W/Para Ordnance P12

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Problem W/Para Ordnance P12

I started a thread on another forum about re-assembling the Para Ordnance P12. I worked with it further and then thought I had solved my problem. Now a new problem has surfaced. I was checking out function using dummy rounds. I simulated a magazine change by inserting an empty mag and retracting the slide to lock. Then inserted a loaded mag and released the slide with the slide lock. When I do this, the hammer also releases.

Not sure what I could have done to cause this. Also not sure if this would cause a discharge. Any insights

John
    W.TN

Posts liked by others
    Did you buy this pistol new?

Have you shot this pistol before disassembling it?

Posts liked by others
    How far did you disassemble the pistol? Does it have a conventional 1911 hammer, or does it have the unusual, original-style Para-Ordnance hammer?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve in Allentown View Post
    Did you buy this pistol new?

Have you shot this pistol before disassembling it?
    Yes! I bought it in 1995 thru Cylinder & Slide with their reliability tune.

I haven't shot it a lot but at least 3-4 times a year. I haven't always cleaned it after every session but do clean it when it gets a little grungy.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    How far did you disassemble the pistol? Does it have a conventional 1911 hammer, or does it have the unusual, original-style Para-Ordnance hammer?
    I only did a field strip. I don't feel competent to go into a detail strip. As far as the hammer, I'm not sure what the original style Para Ordnance hammer looks like. Both my P13 and the P12 have the same type hammer.

Posts liked by others
    Are you comfortable taking the gun apart further? There are several things that can cause hammer follow, broken hammer hooks or sear nose, flat spring not holding the sear in place. Relatively easy to find the problem, the fix might be more difficult. Hope this helps some.

Posts liked by others
    I've decided to take it to a nearby gunsmith. He has a reputation of being very competent although a little touchy.

I'm not confident at all digging deeper into the 1911.

Thanks for the reply.

Posts liked by others
    Make a copy of this photo: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...c/Pict1984.jpg

If you have an early Para, this is the correct hammer for the pistol. If this is what's in it, do NOT let anyone tell you that it has a "weird" hammer and that's what's causing the problem.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Make a copy of this photo: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...c/Pict1984.jpg

If you have an early Para, this is the correct hammer for the pistol. If this is what's in it, do NOT let anyone tell you that it has a "weird" hammer and that's what's causing the problem.
    That looks like the hammer on my gun. Of course, I can only see the exposed part. I'm not going to tear the gun down to the point I can see the entire assembly. I bought the gun in 1995 as I mentioned in Post #4.
    Last edited by alamogunr; 17th September 2021 at 19:01.

Posts liked by others
    The difference in the hammer is the internal part. Most gunsmiths -- even 1911 'smiths -- have never seen a hammer like that and don't know what to do when they see one. It IS the correct hammer for a 1995 para pistol, so don't let a gunsmith blame the problem on the hammer and replace it.
    Hawkmoon