Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Keeping Magazines simple.

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Keeping Magazines simple.

A few years ago, I bought this Colt XSE Combat Commander.
    https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render...&ts=1605637759

It came with two mags. One a standard 7-rounder, the other an 8-rounder with one of those v-shaped followers. I picked up a couple more 8-rounders (as I remember). I remember (it was a few years ago) having some problems with the 8-rounders... last cartridge, or next to the last not entering the chamber all the way. After a lot of reading about 8-round magazines, I bought kits to reduce all the mags to 7-rounds and sought-out "dimpled" followers... as J.B. had originally designed. Here are the three types of followers I have now They all are 7-rounders, and most have the dimples. The bodies are Checkmate, Mecgar, and G.I. Function in my XSE is 100%, and has been since converting them to 7-rounds. I see little point in chasing the ever elusive high-end magazine that provides an increased round-count.

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render...&ts=1609177085
    Last edited by Bushranger; 13th September 2021 at 10:56.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post
    I see little point in chasing the ever elusive high-end magazine that provides an increased round-count.
    A wise choice.

Having said that I will also say that extended tube (not flush fit) 8 round magazines paired up with in-spec 1911s are reliable. My go-to mags are Check-Mate 8 round, extended tube, hybrid feed lip (CM45-8-S-H-EXT). I selected these after a 5,000 round test I ran a few years ago utilizing magazines from all the major manufacturers, a wide array of factory hollow points and FMJ, my 200gr HG68 reloads, and examples of 1911s from multiple manufacturers as well as my personally built pistols which included 5", 4.25", and 3.5" versions.

Thunder Mountain is a good source for these mags.

Posts liked by others
    I bought kits to reduce all the mags to 7-rounds and sought-out "dimpled" followers... as J.B. had originally designed. Here are the three types of followers I have now They all are 7-rounders, and most have the dimples.
    I have an eclectic collection of mags. Some with the dimple/pimple on the followers, some without. The dimple/pimple is usually a feature to prevent last round inertia feed. I've found the pimple less significant in that area of concern than the feed lip design.

Mags with wadcutter feed lips have typically not caused inertia feed problems for me, while some mags without wadcutter feed lips, even with a very pronounced dimple/pimple, so pronounced that it is often difficult to load the first round in the mag getting the case rim over the pimple, have given me inertia feed problems.

I am a 7 round mag user. My default mag is the Wilson 47, full size 7 rounder. They've been consistently good for me, and are easy to source from Wilson Combat. As you say, keeping it simple is good.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Magazine-1911-45-ACP-Full-Size-7-Round-Standard-Base-Pad/productinfo/47/
    Last edited by JTQ; 22nd September 2021 at 06:04.

Posts liked by others
    Mags with wadcutter feed lips have typically not caused inertia feed problems for me...
    They did for me, particularly the eight rounders.

...while some mags without wadcutter feed lips, even with a very pronounced dimple/pimple, so pronounced that it is often difficult to load the first round in the mag getting the case rim over the pimple, have given me inertia feed problems.
    I cannot imagine not using a magazine loader to load the magazines and certainly the first round should be no problem. However, I do admit I have a very stubborn younger brother (Vietnam vet), who steadfastly refused to use mag loaders.

Posts liked by others
    I cannot imagine not using a magazine loader to load the magazines and certainly the first round should be no problem. However, I do admit I have a very stubborn younger brother (Vietnam vet), who steadfastly refused to use mag loaders.
    I have and use a MagLULA, but for a single stack mag, it's really just as easy for me, to not use it, especially with a mag like a 7 round Wilson that has plenty of room in the tube. Double stack, 17 round, 9mm mags, that's where the MagLULA has been great.

I originally bought the MagLULA for some CheckMate mags that were a little difficult for me to load - Wolff extra power springs to try and fix the inertia feed problem - and relatively sharp feed lips that aren't a big deal loading one, but wear on you after repeated loadings. I found one feature I really like about the CheckMate line-up, the dimpled tube that helps to clear the mag catch, makes using the MagLULA more difficult because there is less room at the top of the mag for the loader and the round to fit. The mags that caused me to get the MagLULA in the first place, ended up being the most difficult to use with the tool.

Posts liked by others
    I have and use a MagLULA, but for a single stack mag, it's really just as easy for me, to not use it, especially with a mag like a 7 round Wilson that has plenty of room in the tube. Double stack, 17 round, 9mm mags, that's where the MagLULA has been great.
    You must be referring to only one or two mags at a time. I always shoot 100 rounds so that takes 14+ magazines... which is a chore to load by hand.