Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Current state of conversion kits

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Current state of conversion kits

Hello all,
    It seems like I haven't been here in a long time but all of the sudden I had some questions come up, one of which was regarding conversions. I am wanting to buy one asap to use in CMP EIC matches and just wanted some current opinions. It seems like years ago people favored the Nelson over the Marvel. I'd like to hear from actual end users that own or have owned one or both of the conversions recently. Thanks!

Brandon

Posts liked by others
    I have the Nelson and it does very well for .22 IDPA, but I am not a EIC shooter to really wring out the accuracy.

Posts liked by others
    Ask yourself what you want to do with it. There are significant differences between them. Marvel conversions are not dry fire safe, but they have a pad for the area around the firing pin, to make it dry fire safe. If I am going to shoot a pistol a heck of a lot, I prefer a steel slide, and only the Marvel unit 1 can be ordered with a steel slide. You can order Marvel barrels which test better, for a bit more money. All the Nelson slides lock back when empty, but only the Marvel Unit 1 can be ordered that way, and you pay more for it. Nelson offers muzzle weights and compensators, and Marvel only offers compensators. Marvel offers all sorts of front sights, and Nelson is more plain irons.

I have a Marvel Unit 1, steel slide & locks back when empty, as well as a Nelson. You can now order spare barrels and top rails for both, which allows you to switch sighting systems without rezeroing. Both need to be dripping oil, to function. Both are very accurate, and I can not tell which shoots better.

I have the Marvel on a 1918 Colt frame my father brought back from WWII, and the Nelson on a KC Crawford dedicated frame. The Marvel seemed to benefit from a magazine catch that held the magazine high. Most of the time, I have a red dot equipped barrel on the Nelson, but sometimes iron sights. There was a longer backlog at Nelson than on the Marvel.

Posts liked by others
    I have two Nelson Conversions, one has iron sights and one has a scope rail with an Aimpoint Micro on it. I have been very satisfied with them and Larry is very good at helping out if there are any issues or just questions.

I only use the railed one for 50’ gallery shooting but it is more than accurate enough for me.

Have even used the iron sighted one to run drills at the range during this hard time for reloading supplies.

I don’t own a Marvel, so I can’t compare but have been very happy with the Nelson’s and Larry’s customer service is fantastic.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member, GOA Member, MGO Member