Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: RIA project, expected trouble.

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    all 1911 pistols require a break in period 300-500 rounds.
    Yes, don't you just love those old Movietone News films of GIs firing crates of ammo to break them in before they were issued to combat troops in the War.

I read that review and was disappointed in that the reviewer's vocabulary and style leads to believe he does not have very extensive credentials in firearms, manufacturing processes, etc. In all his "review" seemed more like "cheerleading" (subjective) and an indication that he liked the gun rather than a critical review.
    Right. Frex he did not know that the "shorter barrel length" made it a Commander copy, not a Government Model.
    No actual shooting mentioned in the article, I assume they shot it some in the 35 minute Youtube but could not get past the pumpkin spice latte jokes.

If you discount the first 100 rds (7 of the 11 total failures) it's 4350 mean rds between failures.
    As I recall, the Colt-Army acceptance test in 1911 was 6000 rounds, no failures.

Para-Ordnance had Todd Jarrett (who was their professional shooter at the time) do a 10,000-round torture test of a Para-Ordnance P14.45. Not to be outdone, in 2007 or 2008 Rock Island did a torture test of a Rock Island pistol. I believe they also ran it to 10,000 rounds. I believe I recall seeing a video of it, conducted by the Team Armscor professional
    My nasty suspicious mind leads me to think that maybe "torture tests" run by company employees involved prepped or at least thoroughly checked out guns.
    Reminds me of the Team Smith & Wesson shooter with a 2011. Smith doesn't make a 2011 type gun. Turned out it was one of those S&W "billboard" slides on a STI receiver.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    As I recall, the Colt-Army acceptance test in 1911 was 6000 rounds, no failures.
    Yes, it was. And if you don't think that gun was a specially prepared and carefully tuned prototype, I give up. Especially since the final acceptance test was the second round of testing, and the Colt pistol suffered several hiccups during the first phase of testing, as did all the competitors' samples.

My nasty suspicious mind leads me to think that maybe "torture tests" run by company employees involved prepped or at least thoroughly checked out guns.
    So are all those more expensive, big name brand pistols you see people shooting in competition.

10,000 rounds is a lot of rounds for ONE shooting session. Give credit where credit is due.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Right. Frex he did not know that the "shorter barrel length" made it a Commander copy, not a Government Model.
    No actual shooting mentioned in the article, I assume they shot it some in the 35 minute Youtube but could not get past the pumpkin spice latte jokes.
    If I remember correctly, he referred to the Magazine Well as "the loading slot".

Posts liked by others
    I got my bone stock GI Rock earlier this year. After some issues that may very well have mostly been me, I'm over 1,500 rounds in and certainly wouldn't say it's "worn". On the contrary, after all the great advice from the fine folks here, it seems thoroughly broken in, both the gun and me (a new 1911 convert). As I hoped I'd be able to say, no more issues, eats everything without complaining, absolutely love it. We're celebrating with her first holster and a box of JHP in anticipation of going on the job.

Posts liked by others
    I remember qualifying every 6 months on old Springfield Armory 1911 pistols in the Navy that rattled when you shook them. I still qualified expert with those old pistols who god knows how many rounds have been through them. IMHO you can't go wrong with a Rock Island 1911 I have owned several and my latest is the BBR 3.10 a rebirth of the PARA Warthog. It is a solid shooter for around the 600.00 street price, It can use P13 Para mags with small mods and I got a pair of PARA Warthog faux stag grips on it, have dremel will travel. Just added a Wilson Combat extended slide release as their is a lot of tension with that short barrel. Dropped right in no fitting, I did have to take a little material off the top of the grip.

20210822_180825.jpg
    Senior Chief, USN Ret. OATHKEEPER
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"
    Likes (1) :
    LarryM (31st August 2021)

Posts liked by others
    The small arms locker on the two subs I served on had quite the mixed bag of 1911s, I vaguely remember the small arms PO on my last boat talking about a couple that would have been considered rare and valuable in the late '80s and early '90s. The ones we qualed with and were issued for watches were all rattle traps.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234