Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Family 1911?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Help with Family 1911?

Good morning new member from Maryland. I have had what I think is a 1911 clone since I was a kid. When we my dad and I used to go shooting in the 70s he always shot his Colt nickel plated officers model and I shot “the other” 1911. Funny thing it used to shoot better than the Colt. My grandfather, father and great uncle all served during WW2(Pacific theatre), Korea and Vietnam so I always thought it came from one of them. I hadn’t thought about this gun in awhile and now my family members aren’t around to ask about the guns origin. I tried looking it up on the internet but can’t find anything that really matches. I saw your group and thought maybe someone might be able to help. The gun has a number 5 on the trigger guard, 3 Asian characters and K 41 on one side of the slide and and D 165436 on the other side of the slide. No other markings on the frame or under the grips. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if this is not correct forum I apologize just wasn’t sure if it fit into any of the other categories.

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the group. How about a few pictures for us to see?
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    Sorry having trouble with pictures on the phone. I’ll try to get some on the computer when I get home tonight.
    Last edited by JHPIII; 2nd August 2021 at 14:37.

Posts liked by others

Posts liked by others
    Please post more photos, some showing the overall pistol and some zoomed in but not quite as close as these. These photos are only 320 x 240 pixels. You can go to 800 x 600 and they'll still show up completely on most people's screens.

The markings and rather crude workmanship bring to mind something I heard of while I was in Vietnam, but never encountered for myself:

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/displ...darticles=2231

The VC was well known for their homemade and modified guns. Often times these guns were used until a better one was acquired. The makeshift gun was then passed on to a younger comrade. Laos and Cambodia had shops that made and improvised weapons for the VC. These village shops produced the most from the Viet Minh era through 1966. The shops were usually run by a foreman with apprentices who were either kids or wounded soldiers. These shops also had their own private armies to protect the village that they were in.

As far as creating weapons, the best known shop was in Cao Dai in the Mekong Delta. It was known for its copies of the M1911A1 .45 caliber and the FN Browning. Villages in North Vietnam also created guns for the VC, some in crude shacks, others in actual machine shops. They turned out copies of the Soviet Tokarev pistol for the guerrilla forces. Another ordnance the Vietnamese turned out was the K-50M. This was a submachine gun based on the Type 50s (PPSH-41 variant) supplied by China. The difference was that the K-50M had a three inch cooling sleeve, the foresight was based on the French MAT-49, a pistol grip was added and the barrel was shortened. An interesting percussion piece was captured in 1966. It was crudely constructed with a forge and tools. Weighing in at a hefty 9 pounds, it used lead and black powder slugs and had open sights, accurate at 75 meters.

Shop workmanship was usually hurried and shoddy, thus, service life was short. This was because the guns weren’t heat treated and were made of soft materials. Sometimes they only lasted a few rounds. They may have been crude, but they were deadly.
    Also: https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...-1911a1-pistol

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...-1911a1-pistol
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 2nd August 2021 at 21:03.

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the forum.

The Pusan Jin Foundry in Korea, China and other countries made copies as well. More photos of the markings might narrow down the search.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for all of the help. That article was a good read. Here are some resized images. I’ll take some pictures of the whole gun as soon as I get home tonight. 1CD8D934-51F2-471A-AD55-EE57C5E4B65A.jpgD9270F2B-6B86-41E8-99B1-F46FAF09E05C.jpeg127AEE4E-FABD-4146-9A00-C5548DCABCEB.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    Sorry it took so long got stuck late at work the last few nights. Here are some more pictures hope these help
    04AB6697-B0C6-43A6-9146-3708D9BF7154.jpg4EF7E48A-EFDE-42FA-8A4A-8C9912D24078.jpg90BFD6A2-ED22-43A8-B4C3-E2CA660FC224.jpg5CFE304D-E77F-43A9-999F-4AEF387E39F9.jpg

Posts liked by others
    Based on the overall crudeness of ... everything, I'm going to go with a Viet Cong or NVA hand-made clone of an M1911A1.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post
    Based on the overall crudeness of ... everything, I'm going to go with a Viet Cong or NVA hand-made clone of an M1911A1.
    That makes it even more funny to me that it shot better than my dads real 1911.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast