Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIA BBR 3.10 pocket rocket EDC firepower

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

RIA BBR 3.10 pocket rocket EDC firepower

Greetings, recently picked up a very lightly used RIA BBR 3.10. Came in box as new and got a sweet deal off Guns.com for $525.00. Have learned that its a great little shooter. This pistol can utilize the old Para P-10 13 round extended magazines. They will require some modification to the mag catch on the magazine. You can use a dremel or file but I had to take about 1/16 of an inch of material off the top side of the magazine catch hole on the magazine. Go slow and check often. Once you get it to lock up solid your in business. I ran 100 rounds through each 13 round Para mag and they ran with no issues even though I could only squeeze 12 rounds in. Eventually the spring should loosen up and I'll be able to get that Lucky 13 in there. CDNN has these mags at about $20.00 bucks each. They are marked as pre-ban magazines on the packaging. The G10 grips are nice that come on the pistol but I always like to get a little creative. I found a set of faux stag grips on Ebay for the Para P-10 and using a dremel was able to get them to fit on the RIA BBR. Most of the material has to be taken off the bottom of the grips with slight work on the backside of the grip. Go slow and check fit often. I also had to enlarge the screw holes in order to have them fit over the escutcheon's. After modifying they fit well. You can also use the pinky rest baseplate for the Para P10 on the RIA 10 round magazine. It's made by Pearce for the Para P10 and I purchased it off Ebay for around $10.00. Only slight dremel work is required on the rear of the base plate to get it to fit properly when mag is inserted into pistol. I started watching a guy on you tube who has actually started making mag extensions which provide for a full grip when using the Para 13 round magazines. The plastic extenders that come with the Para mags will not work. He makes these on a 3D printer and they are a perfect fit. The Hogue wrap around grips for the P10 will also work on the RIA BBR with some modification. The guy goes by the handle OneDarkKnight on you tube here is a link to his channel. he has several videos on the RIA BBR that he has posted, all the credit for the mods go to him.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ljsaiz

If your interested in purchasing the extensions you can contact him at One-dark-knight@outlook.com

Attachment 6063Attachment 6064
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslngr56 View Post
    This pistol can utilize the old Para P-10 13 round extended magazines.
    Interesting information, and thanks for confirming that Para magazines work. However, I have to offer a correction:

There was never a "13 round extended magazine" for the Para-Ordnance P10/Warthog. The P10.45 never came with anything other than a 10-round magazine, and neither Para nor any aftermarket magazine maker ever offered a 13-round extended magazine for the P10. They didn't need to. Magazines for the Para P13.45 will work just fine in a P10.45 (or a P12.45), but they will extend beyond the bottom of the grip frame.

So what you've got are P13.45 magazines. If they are genuine Para-Ordnance pre-ban magazines, they are the best magazines Para ever made. I prefer the black pre-bans to the post-ban stainless Para magazines.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 31st July 2021 at 08:39.

Posts liked by others
    Hi Hawk,

check out this link from CDNN, they show 2 different Para 13 round mags. the one they have listed for the Warthog comes with a extension sleeve, the other does not. So thinking about it the mags are probably identical to each other but one has the plastic extension sleeve. Guess I wasted 10 bucks because those plastic extensions will not work with the RIA BBR. Guess I'll buy some more of the plain P13 mags because they are selling them for only $9.99 !! vs $19.99 for the ones listed for the Warthog with sleeve included. I would assume the P14 mags should work also. I'll have to try them I have a P14.45 limited and will check it out. No reason they should not work just hang a little bit lower. I did find other vendors online who advertised Para P10 Warthog 13 round magazines with sleeve. Prices are all over the place, CDNN is the cheapest, one vendor is selling them for $49.95 Yikes!

https://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines...13rd-para.html

They are listing these as Para USA Warthog P10 13 round 45 ACP magazines with a UPC of 783583553452

They also have a separate listing for Para USA P13 13 round 45 ACP magazines with a UPC of 770752102061

https://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines...blue-para.html

Posts liked by others
    Afternoon, read both posts with interest. I’ve had my BBR about 2 weeks and waiting to get to the range to try it out. Not a stranger to .45 sub-compacts, I have a Para Warthog and 2 Llama Mini-Max IIs.

I was just trying different things out and determined none of the 10 round mags were not interchangeable, the Houge wraparound grips for the Warthog won’t work on either of the other two.

The shape of the lower part of the frame, where the MSH pin goes through, is similar to the Llama. The Para is flat across bottom.

Haven’t looked too closely at the other differences yet.

Incidentally, I have 2 RIA Hi-cap .45s, and a Llama 12 round Mini-Max. I like hi-cap 45s and I can not lie!

Posts liked by others
    Afternoon, check out the links in my post to OneDarkKnight, he fitted the Hogue wraparound grips for the Warthog to his RIA BBR. He has some videos posted regarding magazines and grips for the BBR. The Faux Stag grips I have on my BBR came off Ebay and were listed for a Para Warthog. I had to take material off the bottom to get them to fit into the notch on the back of the BBR. Had to open up the screw holes. Regarding the mags. Apparently the mag catch on the Warthog sits slightly higher in the frame. Your 10 round mags for your Warthog will not lock in unless the notch hole in the magazine is opened up by taking some material off the top of the notch hole. CDNN has P13 magazines at only $9.99 each. I enlarged the notch hole in the magazine and they locked in after I took enough material off. Again check out the link I posted to You Tube, OneDarkKnight video explained how to modify the magazines to work. I know my P14 mags slide right in but I don't want to dremel them since they are more expensive to purchase. I have no experience with the Llama pistol just the Para. I had mine to the range yesterday, I had to raise the rear sight 2 clicks, it was shooting about 2 inches low out of the box. Other than that recoil is manageable and it's definitely accurate. Out of 100 rounds of Winchester white box 230 grain FMJ I had 2 stovepipes. I figure about 300 rounds to break it in because its tight. I have a Para P14.45 limited stainless and I was originally looking for a warthog but the prices have gone way up. Hard to find a clean one for under a grand.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks got the update, I hadn’t watched the videos until this morning. I did a test fit with the Houge grips on Friday but decided at the time a modification would ruin the looks. After watching the mod, I’m definitely going to give it a try.

I already use the Pierce floor plates and will have to get more as well as magizens.

I was able to get my Warthog several years ago at decent price, but have a strange history with it. Not long after I bought it, it was stolen, but immediately recovered. After getting it back, I discovered the frame was bent and cracked where the slide lock notch is. Replaced the frame with a new Sarco frame, but now he grip safety doesn’t work. I know some people don’t use it anyway, but right now I don’t trust the gun to EDC.

The Llamas shoot Ok with the exception of stove piping occasionally. I installed the EGW recoil spring and guide on the Para. Maybe I’ll try it on both the Llamas and the 3.10.

Might have to experiment with porting on the Llamas. I know, lot of effort for cheap guns, but I like to tinker.

Posts liked by others
    Lol, think anyone who has a passion for the 1911 loves to tinker. I put a new trigger and sear spring in my Para P14. I have been fighting with it for 2 days. Hammer won't lock back consistently. Everything looks good, did fitting on the trigger and tensioned the spring but still having problems. I'll get it to work eventually but its giving me fits right now. I am just keeping the one 10 round mag for the Rock Island BBR. I purchased 4 P13 mags off of CDNN at $9.99 each (dirt cheap), I carry 2 13 round mags as backup and the 10 round in the pistol. I use a belly band I purchased years ago from Blue Stone Safety products. The pistol pocket can hold a variety of sizes and I have six mag pockets. Very comfortable and it hugs the gun to your body.

Posts liked by others
    I have always had a hankering for the Llama Mini Max Subcompact -- and then Llama went out of business. I'm glad to see that Rock Island has resurrected the pistol. I may yet get one, to keep my Para P10.45 company.

History: https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.p...45-ACP-Finally!!
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others

RIA BBR 3.10 Redux

Finished up working on the RIA BBR today, was waiting on sanding disks. The gun was take down to the frame and I polished the Disconnector, sear, sear spring and hammer cams.This is a seventies series so no extra little parts to fight with. Always liked a two tone look so the trigger, slide stop, safety, mag release, grip screws, beavertail, mainspring housing, front of barrel etc. I did all the roll pins also. Everything got a light coat of frog lube. Loaded in a snap cap and did some dry firing, definitely lightened up the trigger and smoothed it out. I polished the Trigger bow also. Will be taking it back out to the range again next week.
    20210807_192710.jpg20210807_192724.jpg20210807_192757.jpg

Posts liked by others
    After reading your last post including the pictures, I had to snicker. My Warthog has the stainless slide release and safety, and grip safety.

I don’t care for the look. But whatever works for you.

Any way, finally got to the range today. The 3.10 shot pretty close to POA at steel targets at 20 meters. In 3 mags, no issues. I brought a bunch of guns so I didn’t spend a lot of time with each.

The Hog is still having some issues with ejecting, I replaced the recoil spring with one from EGW. Have to work on the ejector spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast