Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: My 1911 fires by ONLY pressing grip safety

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

My 1911 fires by ONLY pressing grip safety

So I’ve searched hi and low on google, and can’t find any threads anywhere with my particular problem. So I found this site and made an account. I have a Gsg 1911 22lr. When I bought it from a friend it seemed to work fine. I took it apart to clean and lube it and put it back together. Now, I’m having quite a unique problem. Half the time when the hammer is cocked back, the gun will fire by ONLY pressing the grip safety. Also, the gun won’t cycle when fired. I need any help I can get. Thank you.
    Last edited by 1911nub; 9th July 2021 at 03:06.

Posts liked by others
    What do you mean won't cycle? The slide doesn't move at all? Or the slide moves but it doesn't eject? Or the slide cycles but the hammer doesn't cock?

As to to firing by squeezing the grip safety, it sounds like the sear isn't engaging the hammer correctly or fully. I would start by taking it apart, inspecting all the parts carefully for wear or breakage, and then reassembling it, paying close attention to see if anything is interfering with free movement of the sear.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    So I think I figured out the grip safety problem, sear spring wasn’t sitting quite right. As for the gun not cycling, it will fire, eject the cartridge, puts the next round in, but the hammer isn’t cocked back.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911nub View Post
    As for the gun not cycling, it will fire, eject the cartridge, puts the next round in, but the hammer isn’t cocked back.
    Then the next question is what ammo are you using? Standard velocity .22LR probably won't have enough power, and even some of the bulk "high velocity" .22LR may not.

But it could also be a question of the sear not properly engaging the hammer hooks. Again -- time to open it up and see what's happening inside.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Just standard .22lr . Why in the heck would they make ammo that won’t let the hammer cycle back. Just bought like 1100 rounds too. Not happy about that .

Posts liked by others
    Are you aware that .22 Rimfire is THE oldest metallic cartridge ammunition in the world? .22 Short was developed in 1857, for the S&W top break revolver. .22 Long came along in 1871, with .22 LR following in about 1884. So the cartridge pre-dated the development of semi-automatic handguns by a considerable length of time. Obviously, cycling the hammer is not a concern when shooting a revolver.

Since the 1880s, .22 LR has been offered (and is still offered) in a dizzying array of velocity and bullet weight combinations, from sub-sonic to standard velocity to high-velocity to hyper-velocity. The manufacturers do this so that shooters can match their ammunition to what they want to do with it. Many of the .22 LR semi-automatic pistols state that they are designed for use with high-velocity ammunition. You have discovered the reason -- the guns need the energy of the high velocity ammo to cycle reliably.

If the ammo is the problem with your gun (or part of the problem), you can probably sell it for about what you paid for it, and move on to a different type of ammo that will cycle your pistol.

From the GSG web site:
    https://www.americantactical.us/76/detail.html

Recommended Ammunition:

Use only commercial grade ammunition in its original packaging that corresponds with the caliber of the gun. The correct caliber is imprinted on the gun.
    22LR (Long Rifle) High Velocity (HV) with a minimum of 1250 Feet Per Second (FPS) 36-40 grain.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    So I just sold that gun today and all the ammo and stuff. Moving on to something with a little more power. And no I didn’t know the history behind it. Makes sense now ^_^ ty

Posts liked by others
    I don't believe the hammer wasn't being cocked, but was what is called following. It was cocked, but failed to stay cocked due to other problems. You will note for the slide to come back far enough to strip a round, the hammer is cocked more than far enough.

CAW
    “If it ain't broke, don't fix it' is the slogan of the complacent, the arrogant or the scared. It's an excuse for inaction, a call to non-arms.” Colin Powell