Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M1911-AI FS slide lock

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    for Q1: I'm getting 1.3105" - the picture helped, too.

I also tried to measure the slide stops where they ought to match up with that measurement:
    old: 1.2940"
    new: 1.2815"

I have it field stripped for cleaning and should be able to check the feeding trough diagram as best I can soon here.

Also got the files, but will take it slow here and try not to [imagine some saying other than "jump the gun" here].

Last couple of trips totaled 100 rds. Got a few fail to locks and one very nearly returned to battery, all still relatively happy for me. I'll skip the pic of < 1/8" brass peaking out unless someone really wants to see it.

Posts liked by others
    Hmmm-m-m-m. Well all three of those dimensions are within spec. So - - - -

• You can eliminate weak magazine springs as the cause of the failure to lock the slide open after the last round by: removing the follower and spring from the magazine giving the most problems; placing two loaded rounds in the bottom the magazine tube; putting the spring and follower back in; shooting it.

• There should not be any lubricant in or on the magazine.

I'm still a bit mystified about how the aft end of the slide stop can contact that part of the magazine. Only thing that comes to mind is the magazine well is too far forward, but how to find out may take a little more thought.

It may be a few days till you hear from me as I'm having cataract surgery in the morning.
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    Good thoughts headed your way Niemi for a quick and complete recovery!

LHS

Posts liked by others
    agreed, best wishes. I hope this finds you recovering well. My next trip is this weekend at the earliest so I'm in no rush. I'll give this latest trick a try and report back on my feeding trough results. I'll post method since I made something up and need to refresh my trigonometry knowledge first.

In a weird way, I'm enjoying this troubleshooting and learning opportunity much more than if I ended up with a pistol that boringly went bang for thousands of rounds.

Posts liked by others
    Well that's a disappointment. My old browser window ate my response twice. I suppose shorter is sweeter anyway.

Last weekend I started getting failures to lock on empty again halfway through my session - I finally think I pinned it down to my thumb getting on top of the slide lock. No issues this last trip, so hopefully that's out of the way now and solved.

I was able to roughly confirm the 31.5 degree angle seems right with a protractor and some paper cutting/fitting. It's not good enough to measure the 35 degree angle, though, so that may have to wait.

On the old slide lock filing, no chance to do that yet, but I'm hopeful it'll happen sometime soon. The new one I'll probably leave alone unless I start seeing more problems, though I'll watch the copper deposits, maybe try adjusting the lug on the old one first.

Thanks once again for all the help and advice. I'm certain I'll be back soon and maybe even have some useful info to contribute.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12