Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

View Poll Results: What's the "right" cover price? (Vote for one in each category)

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paperback - $20

0 0%
  • Paperback - $25

3 100.00%
  • Paperback - $30

0 0%
  • Paperback - $35

0 0%
  • Paperback - More than $35

0 0%
  • Paperback - Less than $20

0 0%
  • Hard cover - $25

0 0%
  • Hard cover - $30

1 33.33%
  • Hard cover - $35

1 33.33%
  • Hard cover - $40

0 0%
  • Hard cover - More than $40

0 0%
  • Hard cover - Less than $25

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Market reaearch poll

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Market reaearch poll

We're reaching out to our membership to do a bit of market research on behalf of one of the contributing editors to our on-line magazine. Here's what's going on:

The debate about gun control and the Second Amendment continues, even after Heller and McDonald. None other than Hillary Clinton grandly pronounced that the Supreme Court of the United States was "wrong" on the meaning of the Second Amendment. It seems that many people who spout their opinions about the meaning of the 2A don't really have any understanding whatsoever about what it meant to the Founders who wrote it -- or where the Founders got their ideas from.

Our long-time editor decided that collecting a group of historical documents that touch on the origins of the U.S. Constitution, the U.S. Bill of Rights, the 2A, and laws and court decisions following the adoption of the 2A would be a useful resource, especially for people who are looking for solid arguments to refute the anti-gunners who loudly proclaim that the 2A doesn't say what it says.

The book is nearly finished, and he is looking at self-publishing it through a print-on-demand service. A huge issue at the point of submitting it for print will be putting a cover price on it. There are a lot of books on Amazon that basically reproduce the Constitution, and sell for 5 or 10 bucks. This book is going to begin with the Magna Carta and proceed up through the McDonald decision -- including complete (or nearly complete) copies of the text of each document. The book will have a "trim size" of 6" x 9" and it looks like it's going to be around 1020 pages.

The print-on-demand service can do both paperback and hard cover, so he's considering both -- and maybe an e-book version, IF the documents will translate into EPUB format.

We would like your opinions on what cover prices to put on the paperback and hard cover editions. The advice from most writers' forums is to price your book in line with the competition but, in this case, we don't know what the competition is.

Input requested.
    For the M1911.ORG Team,
    The Rule Keeper
    Likes (1) :
    Mark75H (2nd June 2021)

Posts liked by others
    I'd be happy to volunteer some brain cells and contribute dozens of questions privately or here that may be helpful or a nuisance, probably more of the latter. Initial thoughts - for the $30 range, I'll commit here and now to buying a copy to support him/her if nothing else. This sounds like a book that needs to exist. There are tons of moving parts that could make the difference between an obscure coffee table book and a national phenomenon. There is a little bit (all above board) your compatriots right here can do if you plan on making it available through someplace like that internet bookseller from the Brazilian rainforest. Speaking of which, on the eBook front - I would say that's the only game in town, so you'd want to take that into consideration for better or worse.

Posts liked by others
    There should be a listing for the Kindle edition. Our bookshelves are full. I don't buy any more printed books, only digital ones. Most recent purchase was a month ago.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by MuyModesto View Post
    There should be a listing for the Kindle edition. Our bookshelves are full. I don't buy any more printed books, only digital ones. Most recent purchase was a month ago.
    It is the author's intention to offer a Kindle (and/or Nook) edition if it can be done. I won't try to get into specifics I don't fully understand, but apparently the nature of some of the documents may make it impossible to offer an e-book. If it happens, we'll let you know.
    For the M1911.ORG Team,
    The Rule Keeper
    Likes (2) :
    Mark75H (2nd June 2021), MuyModesto (28th May 2021)