Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1911A1 from 1943 via the C.M.P.

Posts liked by others

M1911A1 from 1943 via the C.M.P.

In January I applied for the current round of C.M.P. pistol sales. Tuesday i got the call and selected Service Grade. Yesterday the pistol arrived at my favorite gun shop. I’m now 14 hours into my 10 day California waiting period.

Being curious about the gun I took several close up photos of markings on the gun, but none show the entire pistol. I’ll take more photos and will share them after “pick-up day” gets here.

Nowhere on the gun do I see the name “Colt”. The C.M.P. papers show it was Colt. Looking online I saw the serial number was within a range of 1911A1 serial numbers assigned to Colt in 1943.

If any of you can discern what the various markings on this pistol mean, I would love know whatever info there is to know. In particular I’m curious about the 5 digit number on the right side of the slide.

Left Side stamping by trigger to share.jpg Right Side serial # to share.jpg Left Side below slide stop to share.jpg Left Side below slide stop.jpg Left Side below slide stop to share.jpg
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    Congratulations on your new pistol.

The slide number, called a cage code, assigned to govt contractors in this case for the replacement slide. No944488 shipped 10 June or 17 June 1943 to Transportation Officer, Springfield Armory in a shipment of 4000 or 2000 pistols.

The serial number and GHD (Guy H. Drewry, Brigadier General) acceptance stamp verify Colt production.

https://www.govcagecodes.com/

NUMAX ELECTRONICS INC
    350 5TH AVE SUITE 1925
    NEW YORK, NY 10118-0110
    UNITED STATES
    04-NOV-1974 21-MAR-2017
    FORMERLY IN HAUPPAUGE, NY
    Likes (3) :
    John (16th May 2021), MuyModesto (16th May 2021), Rick McC. (19th May 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Commonly referred to as a "hardened" replacement slide. Given the age of the frame (although spot hardened) , the slide may have cracked and needed to be replaced within the NUMAX contract dates. Being a hardened slide it can be shot without concerns with the slide cracking with modern ammo.

LHS
    Likes (2) :
    MuyModesto (17th May 2021), Rick McC. (19th May 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Yes the inspector stamp and serial number are giveaways the frame is colt.
    The part number on the slide is a giveaway of a 1980’s era replacement slide.
    There were multiple 1911A1 inspectors during world war 2 and I don’t remember all of them but for reference:

FJA inspected all Ithaca and Remington rand pistols, so FJA on a frame means one of these.
    RCD inspected all union switch and signal company pistols
    JKC all singers
    Colt was more complicated as they started making A1’s in the 1920’s and off and on until 1945:
    WTG in the 1920’s
    CSR in 1940/41
    GHD through much of WWII
    JSB for a brief period in 1945
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (23rd May 2021)

Posts liked by others
    My 10 day waiting period ended, so it's at home now, and I'm delighted to have it.

Right Side action open To Share.jpg Left Side - Action Closed to Share.jpeg
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    Looks good. The number on the RHS of the slide the part number.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (26th May 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Today I finally got the free time to field strip my C.M.P. pistol. Looking up the numbers I found it is a USGI replacement barrel, made in 1990. Looking at the barrel's interior was an unpleasant surprise. The groves were loaded with some sort of fouling. I went through a pile of cleaning patches, had to toss a bore brush and start a new one, but found that crud almost impossible to remove. Eventually I broke out an old bottle of "Sweet's 7.62" bore cleaner from decades ago when I was competing in HighPower rifle. Eventually I began to make a little progress, but not much. This is the worst fouled handgun barrel I have ever owned. I'm thinking it's going to be a number of days before I get the barrel clean. If any more experienced members have a suggestion for a better way to get the rifling clean, I'd certainly appreciate the advice.
    Numbers on barel to share.jpg

Posts liked by others
    Possibly lead deposits if Sweet's didn't remove it; mechanical action usually required to remove lead. I've used both these products with success. Frontier pad strands wrapped around a bore brush cleaned out a Star PD barrel leaded so badly the rifling wasn't visible. Is the barrel chrome lined?

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/...m-your-barrel/

https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (29th May 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Doran, Thanks much. Firstly I had forgotten that i do own a Lewis Lead Remover. I put the last screen in the box (from 40 years ago) through the bore and it definitely produced results. The lands are now clean. I also ordered the Frontier metal cleaner, because it looks like the perfect tool to get the grooves clean.

Posts liked by others
    The Frontier pad produced amazing results with the PD. The PD sat in a gun rug in someone's basement for many years. It rusted so badly we had to peel the rug off the pistol.

The pad took off all the outside and inside rust without removing any of the remaining blue. The barrel went from "no" lands and grooves to shiny with little effort. I hope it does the same for you.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (31st May 2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast