Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Current reloading component shortages

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Current reloading component shortages

Just wondering how others at 1911.org are making out with the current powder, primer etc shortages? In my area there is NOTHING to be had for reloading. Even 12 Gauge trap loads are rare as hens teeth. I have also routinely searched all the various websites that sell components and it seems that despite many sites saying that they are working to replenish inventory, it never happens. I understand that there is an increase in new gun owners and people who are getting into reloading etc but it sure is tempting to take a swig of the conspiracy theory Kool Aid! How are members here making out?

Posts liked by others
    Yes, anything relating to ammunition is either unobtainium, or extremely expensive. And yes, it is starting to seem like those conspiracy theories might be right.
    Likes (1) :
    M60teamleader (30th December 2021)

Posts liked by others
    I'm loading and shooting a lot less than I used to.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :

Posts liked by others
    Last fall a local gun shop near me still had some primers and was limiting them to 500 per customer. They charged $50 for 500...they had been averaging $37 per thousand. At the same time another gun shop near where I grew up was selling them for $40 per thousand, a slight increase that I was more than happy to pay...guess who I patronize now?! I understand supply and demand and I also understand gouging! In any event, neither store has primers or powder now.
    Likes (2) :
    M60teamleader (30th December 2021), Rick McC. (19th May 2021)

Posts liked by others
    I am going to the range as much as I always have, there is a social component to my time at the range, but only shooting half as many rounds as I used to. I was never into hoarding, with any purchases I make, I buy what I need and a little extra for lean times....and times is lean now!
    Likes (1) :

Posts liked by others
    Some pricing from the past few gun shows I've attended:

primers $200/1000
    powder $60/pound
    223 ball $1+/round, sometimes slightly less in case lots
    308 ball $1.50/round
    9mm hollowpoint $2-2.50/round
    45 about the same

Primers readily available if willing to pay the price. Some popular powders not available at any price.

Posts liked by others
    Wow! I am glad I built up a half decent supply! It sure does not seem there is any end in sight either!

Posts liked by others
    I think it's safe to assume that we will never again see primers at $25 per 1,000 or powder at $20 per pound. The outstanding question is, once things settle down to a new normal, what will the new normal be?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (27th April 2021)

Posts liked by others
    I think rather bleak given panic buying, increased numbers of gun owners and the all out push for additional gun control.

Posts liked by others
    Up until the last show I attended the public was paying these prices. I noticed at the last show most vendors charging these prices took nearly all of their primers and ammunition home with them.

It also seems there's much more imported ammunition available now than previously.
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (19th May 2021)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast