Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Brass hitting head

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Brass hitting head

I recently bought a used Nighthawk Talon 2 Commander. I installed a new Nighthawk spring kit and ordered 4 new Nighthawk mags ( Which are the Mecgar/ Act )
    The mags had a issue when fully loaded with 8 rounds the first and second round was nose diving into the front of the mag.
    I contacted Nighthawk and they replaced that set with another 4 that seemed to work better.
    Yesterday I went to the range and ran 150 rounds through it. I had one faliure to feed the last round, that was out of the first 8 from that mag.
    Then it shot great for the rest of day, very accurate.
    I did have bass once in awhile hitting my hat. It's very random
    So today I field stripped it and compared it to my T3 which is also a Nighthawk commander.
    Extractor tension seemed fine. the T3 actually seemed to have a hair more tension.
    The ejectors looked the same. Tips had the same bevel to the right. length was the same.
    So now I'm thinking either the new recoil spring or mag springs might need alittle more break in.
    It's not a big thing , but was wondering
    Last edited by T-TAC; 17th April 2021 at 15:30.

Posts liked by others
    Q1: Is there any evidence of case mouth contact with the lower inside (beveled) edge of the ejection port?

Q2: Is the forward-most part of ejector nose at the top or bottom?
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    Q1) No

Q2) Don't remember, but the length, angle, tip were identical to my T3
    Last edited by T-TAC; 17th April 2021 at 16:26.

Posts liked by others
    A little bit more tension on the extractor might solve your issue. I had a gun that would hit me in the forehead every shot until I added tension. Best wishes.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    Q3: How does it eject after increasing the extractor tension Joni Lynn suggested?

Q4: When the firing pin stop is removed, how easy is it to remove the extractor from its tunnel in the slide?

Q5: One more time: Is the forward-most part of ejector nose at the top or bottom?
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Last edited by niemi24s; 29th April 2021 at 15:32.

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for the replies.
    I'll take a look this weekend and get back to you.

Posts liked by others
    So I checked the Extractor and there was very little tension on it.
    I took the slide off my T3 and gauged the tension with the Weiland guage.
    I set the Tension on this Talon 2 the same at exactly 26 oz.
    Took it to the range yesterday and one round out of the first mag hit the top of my baseball cap.
    The the rest of the 5o round box of 230 gr. Speer Gold dots ejected pefectly.
    It passed the 10-8 pattern test.
    So If figure great it's fixed.
    Took out a old box of Federal American Eagle 230 gr fmj and each mag threw 2 or 3 rounds to the right side of my cap for that 50
    When I cleaned it I noticed a copper smear of the lobe of the slide stop which I'm pretty sure came from the from the American Eagle ammo.
    Its a commander , it's running a 18 lb recoil spring, square bottom firing pin stop. I think Nighthawk uses a slightly lighter than 23 lb mainspring.
    The Ejector tip as far as I can tell is Square.
    Not sure if I want to mess with it more as the gun has been 100 percent reliable.
    Likes (1) :
    Joni Lynn (3rd May 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Happy to hear of success. Enjoy your gun. Best wishes.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    After all those recent rounds being fired, is there now any evidence of case mouth contact at the lower, inside edge of the ejection port?

Posts liked by others
    Nope only a smear on the slide stop lobe