Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Early 1911 barrel markings?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Early 1911 barrel markings?

I'm in the middle of selling a 1911 made in 1913 on gunbroker and was asked a question about the markings on the barrel. After photographing and researching the barrel and posting (my god peopled can be picky!) When taking close up pictures I kind of noticed something kind of interesting I had never noticed on my gun. The last digit of the serial number is in a different font. It is just a bit larger and deeper struck than the others. I also noticed the same number in the same font stamped under the barrel. I have since then noticed the same thing on guns on line in the same range having the last digit slightly different. Two questions come to mind. 1) is the number on the bottom of the barrel the last digit of the serial number? 2) were these guns built in 10 unit lots? I can see setting up the serial number stamping for run of 10 guns and then hand stamping the last digit on the frame and barrel.

Posts liked by others
    Some characters, numeral 1 for example, sometimes stamp deeper due to less surface area and sometimes appear larger.

Military barrels did not carry the serial number.

Pistols shipped in 50 count boxes and until 1918 shipped in sequential serial number order.

Photos might help determine what you have.
    Likes (1) :
    Sergio Natali (4th April 2021)