Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Norinco 1911A1

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Many thanks Steve. I will certainly try that and let you know what happens. Here are some pix I took

IMG_0665.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg

Posts liked by others
    I asked about a full length guide rod because I tried one in a reliable Argentina Sistema shooter and jammed the pistol. I changed back to the original guide rod which fixed the problem.
    Likes (1) :
    wyn6666 (25th March 2021)

Posts liked by others
    There seems to be some crud at the bottom of the ejector - how is that on the breech face and extractor? Is it the slide that has problems ejecting cases, which in turn causes the jams?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    I asked about a full length guide rod because I tried one in a reliable Argentina Sistema shooter and jammed the pistol. I changed back to the original guide rod which fixed the problem.
    It's the original guide rod.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by wyn6666 View Post
    It's the original guide rod.
    I'm fairly certain that Doran meant a short guide rod as originally designed by John Moses Browning for the M1911. The Sistema was a license-built copy of the military M1911A1, and had a short guide rod.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    wyn6666 (25th March 2021)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 25th March 2021 at 16:45.

Posts liked by others
    Sorry, I meant this is the original guide rod that was in the gun when I bought it, not been replaced by myself. I've loaded some hotter rounds with Tightgroup powder. I'll try them tomorrow and see what happens.
    I stripped out the firing pin and extractor and cleaned. Fingers crossed it works better. I highly doubt it will as I fear something more serious is wrong with this gun.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by wyn6666 View Post
    Sorry, I meant this is the original guide rod that was in the gun when I bought it, not been replaced by myself.
    Understood.

But it's not the style of guide rod that the 1911 was designed to use. In general, based on my recollection of posts on this site over the years, I'd say that most of our members regard full-length guide rods as a device invented by accessory manufacturers to separate gun owners from their money. Some manufacturers include the things on new guns because they think that's what buyers want. Personally, on the rare occasions I have bought 1911s that had full-length guide rods, about the first thing I did was to discard it and replace it with a standard, Browning-designed short guide rod.

All of which may not have anything to do with your particular issue.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    wyn6666 (26th March 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon is correct, I changed back to the original short guide rod.

I believe the tolerance stack up in that particular pistol caused it to jam with a full length guide rod. Only a few rounds caused the locking lugs in the barrel and slide to begin to roll over.
    Likes (1) :
    wyn6666 (26th March 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for your help. I'll order a new one and let you know what happens.

Posts liked by others
    I'd be very interested in what's been causing the jam. I also have a Norinco I bought used in the late 90s. I've shot more than 1K rounds of factory 230 gr ball ammo. I have installed a Wilson Combat full length guide rod in it. I've never experienced a malfunction of any kind on this pistol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast