Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Problem seating and ejecting mags in just one of my 1911s

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Problem seating and ejecting mags in just one of my 1911s

Previously I posted about problems I had with the Wilson Combat E.T.M. mags with the low profile base in.45 ACP. I experienced the difficulty in both my Springfield Armory pistols and mostly my Les Baer pistol. Now I have found other magazines that show the same problem in just the Les Baer, and to a lesser degree.

The problem is that the mags are difficult to seat and difficult to eject. The cause was the front vertical edge of the magazine base being too tall, causing the mag to be difficult to seat and to eject. The involved .45 ACP mags are Checkmate CM45-8-B-RB, mags as well as Sig Sauer branded mags and Ed Brown branded mags, both seemingly made by Checkmate.

Unlike the problem with the Wilson Combat mags where grinding off metal from the magazine base and using touch-up blue was the answer to the problem, the fix for Checkmate mags is easier. Since the removable base pad is black rubber there’s a lot less time spent at the grinder, and no need for the touch-up blue.

I found the height to be 14.5 mm before grinding. Once I got the height down to 12.88mm the mags seated perfectly time after time, and ejected easily on a consistent basis. Sig Sauer mag after grinding.jpgCheckmat CM45-8-B-RB.jpgSig Sauer mag not done yet.jpg
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by MuyModesto View Post
    The involved .45 ACP mags are Checkmate CM45-8-B-RB, mags as well as Sig Sauer branded mags and Ed Brown branded mags, both seemingly made by Checkmate.
    Easy-peesy. Well done.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (19th March 2021)

Last edited by Steve in Allentown; 12th March 2021 at 10:08.

Posts liked by others
    The Les Baer pistols seem to have less of a relief cut on the front strap than most other 1911's.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (19th March 2021)