Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Slide modification

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Slide modification

Just saw this on YouTube. Seems like maybe a good idea but if so, I'd think it would be more commonly done. Must be a negative or two, what say you all?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid...ature=youtu.be

Posts liked by others
    Actually a common modification of bullseye guns.

CAW
    “If it ain't broke, don't fix it' is the slogan of the complacent, the arrogant or the scared. It's an excuse for inaction, a call to non-arms.” Colin Powell
    Likes (1) :
    JD11 (9th February 2021)

Posts liked by others
    There is no downside other than the cost in time/money to do it.

Is it necessary? Not really. Many say that if JMB didn't design it into the pistol then it shouldn't be done. I do this to many 1911s simply because it prevents any hesitation of the slide as it comes forward. I particularly like it in aluminum frames as it prevents the steel disconnector from being pounded forward by the slide into the frame. Would the pistols still out live me without this modification? Probably but it gives me peace of mind knowing that I've done a simple modification that enhances the mechanical functioning of the pistol no matter how small the improvement may be.

As CAWalter points out, the bullseye crowd likes it because it allows the first round to be chambered with the same force as all subsequent rounds thus removing that variable and tightening up their groups by removing the first round flyer phenomenon.
    Likes (1) :
    JD11 (9th February 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a good idea especially if you have your own machine shop.