Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple New Kimbers

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Couple New Kimbers

So I joined this site a decade ago but pretty much just read and learn. Back when I joined I was new to firearms and picked up a Metro Arms 1911. Shot it for the last 10 years with thousands of rounds through it. Was bitten by the “time for a new 1911 bug” and decided to trade it in and get a stainless Pro Carry 2. Have put a couple hundred rounds through it so not quite through the break in time but have had a couple FTF where it gets slightly hung up going into battery. Just take a nice to go in. Will keep shooting it and get through some expensive 500 rounds worth of ammo. At this point in the ammo gouging it is almost half the cost of the 1911 just to break it in.

Range experience has been pretty pleasant. With the aluminum frame instead of the steel frame I had previously, there is a little more feel but not terrible. I have not become a marksman in the last decade so can’t say how accurate it is but next trip I will bench rest and have my LEO friend put some down range.

After some range sessions and carrying the Pro Carry, I decided let’s get something a little more compact. So I went to Cabelas who just got in some Kimbers and they happen to have a Stainless Ultra Carry 2 that was essentially the little brother so it was almost meant to be.

After purchase I went straight to the gun range to give it a little testing. No cleaning or anything just straight to shooting. Put a hundred through it with not a single hiccup. It actually felt better shooting the Ultra than the Pro. I also shot it more accurately than the Pro foe whatever reason.

When I got home to do some cleaning, the Ultra seems to have more attention to detail on the finishing. Not a big difference but there are no burs inside unlike the pro that has a couple minor places.

Now I just need to figure out how to post a few pics.
    Likes (1) :
    PolyKahr (7th February 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Lets see if this works for pics.

IMG_4512.jpg

Posts liked by others
    Finicky trying to upload with iPhone.....

Attachment 5860Attachment 5861
    Likes (1) :
    PolyKahr (7th February 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Nice looking pistolas.

I have always felt that 500-round break-in was nothing but a shoddy scheme by manufacturers to palm off proper finishing on the end purchaser. When you spend on the order of a thousand dollars on a piece of machinery, IMHO you are entitled to a machine that functions. Would you accept the same boondoggle for a home appliance? "Oh, your dishwasher doesn't clean the dishes? Run 500 loads through it, and if it doesn't work after that call us back."

You buy a gun to shoot. If it doesn't shoot -- it's defective.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (5) :
    cf45 (7th February 2021), MuyModesto (7th February 2021), PolyKahr (7th February 2021), Ric4509 (8th February 2021), Sergio Natali (23rd February 2021)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 7th February 2021 at 17:50.

Posts liked by others
    I would agree with Hawkmoon. I have never bought into the hype of a "break in period". If a gun is designed to shoot, it should shoot first rattle out of the box.

Posts liked by others
    Timely topic! Thanks everybody for your comments. Here I am with one of my 1911s (a Springfield Mil-Spec) having 522 rounds through it. It's certainly more reliable now than when new, but it still doesn't feel broken-in and is not reliable enough for carry. I am happy for the progress, but am ready for this phase of break-in to conclude so it'll be as reliable as my other pistols. Yesterday I changed to a lighter recoil spring. I have 13 magazines loaded in my "range box" ready to go. We'll see how it does at the range on Wednesday.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    A pretty weapon. I my experience, Kimbers don't really need 500 rounds to break in. Mine has never had a failure to feed or eject except with faulty ammunition. Of course it requires more maintenance than a Glock, but you know that.

Wade

Posts liked by others
    I agree the 500 round break in was always something that seemed a little ridiculous. We will see how the Pro gets on but if I need to send it to Kimber, so be it. I have other firearms and the Ultra for carry needs.

I did find it interesting that my Ultra has a crowned barrel when all the reviews I have seen online looked like normal barrels.

Also on the barrel on my Pro and Ultra there are no “matte” areas. All the YouTube videos I have seen had the recessed portions of the barrel as “matte”. Guessing it takes less effort to leave all barrel smooth vs going in and bead blasting some areas and then going back and polishing the barrel again.

Posts liked by others
    Didn't mean to take away fro your obvious pride in the new pistol.
    It looks great and I'm sure you will get good service from it.

Posts liked by others
    I have had 5 Kimbers, 2 Pro Carry II's 45 and 9mm and 2 Target II's 9mm and 38 Super and a Two Tone 45. None have required any form of break in!

Where does the 500 round break in come from?

The fit and finish has been perfect as well as function on ALL! And all shoot POA/POI at 15 yards.

The Target II in 9mm has been my gamer gun for over 10 years. Never an issue that wasn't shooter, ammo or magazine induced!

I wish I could say that about my Smith's, Springers and Colts!

Shoot those Kimbers and you'll learn to love them!

Smiles,
    Likes (1) :
    PolyKahr (12th February 2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast