Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: WWII vintage Hi Power

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

WWII vintage Hi Power

I was given this by my father-in-law who received it from his cousin who brought it back after the end of WWII. At some point before he got it, the pistol was chrome plated and became scratched and worn over the years - although he claimed to have never shot it. A few years before he died, he asked if I could have the plating removed. I knew the collector value was gone anyway and I eventually found a gunsmith in Florida who slow-etched it and refinished it - luckily able to save the markings.

He passed it to me not long before he died. The grips on it were for an Inglis so I'm not sure where they came from. I acquired both wood and bake-lite replacements - not sure which are correct.

A few years after he died, we were going through an old filing cabinet in the stable on our farm - we bought the property from my in-laws - and found a folder that had the bring-back papers from when the pistol was brought to the US. When they were filled out, they mistakenly noted the "b" series mark as a "6" in the serial number and one document also mislabeled it as a 7.65 caliber pistol. Clearly, though, these are the bring-back papers for it. A fortunate find.

It may not hold its original value, but it means the world to me.

Hi Power1.jpg Hi Power with Bring Back Papers.jpg
    Likes (2) :
    Mark75H (21st January 2021), MuyModesto (21st January 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Nice keepsake from a family member. Looks like the refinish came out well.
    Likes (2) :
    Devious_6 (21st January 2021), MuyModesto (21st January 2021)