Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback please

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Feedback please

I carried one of these during the first 6 years I was in the Army, have owned this one for years, and really have no experience with collecting them. That's why I'm here. I can't find any rebuild marks on it - at least no RIA stamp. The barrel is a High Standard. I think I found somewhere that it's a '44 build.

Thoughts on it?

RR3.jpg RR7.jpg RR6.jpg RR5.jpg RR4.jpg
    Last edited by Devious_6; 19th January 2021 at 21:10.

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the forum.

Produced 1944, color in these photos makes it appear possibly refinished.

Posts liked by others
    Don't think it was refinished - based on what I can find online, it appears to be possibly all-original. I've ordered a copy of Reisch's book - his work on M1 Carbines isn't perfect but fairly accurate. Hopefully, his 1911 book is the same.

Posts liked by others
    The color looks a little too "green" on my monitor but that could just be the photos; Remington Rands tend to grey finish.

Check the feedramp in the frame at the front of the magazine well. That should exhibit bare metal showing a slight sanding pattern and not parkerized over. Also check the firing pin. Those produced "in the white" but refinishers often don't know that and parkerize them. I notice the barrel still looks to have blue finish. That's another good sign as refinishers usually parkerize them also.

If these things check out that's a good indication of original finish.
    Likes (2) :
    Devious_6 (21st January 2021), Ric4509 (21st January 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Let me first say that I agree with DORAN, anyway from the pictures that pistol seems as right as rain to me.
    Nice REMRAND anyway.
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.
    Likes (1) :
    Devious_6 (24th January 2021)

Posts liked by others
    I pulled it apart - all seems to be in order. Bare metal feed ramp and in the white firing pin. Barrel seems black, not blue.
    Likes (1) :
    Sergio Natali (27th January 2021)

Posts liked by others
    What marks on the barrel? HS on the RHS and P on the LHS for a correct barrel. Barrels finished in dark blue that might look black under some lighting.
    Likes (1) :
    Devious_6 (25th January 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    What marks on the barrel? HS on the RHS and P on the LHS for a correct barrel. Barrels finished in dark blue that might look black under some lighting.
    Barrel markings are correct. Must be the lighting on my workbench in the basement that throw the colors off.

Posts liked by others
    I think it looks okay.
    A lot of people ruin old .45s by trying to improve them.
    Likes (2) :
    Rick McC. (5th February 2021), Sergio Natali (4th April 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Yeah, the barrel will look black until compared with one that really is black. The High Standard barrel is correct. Look on the toe top of the mag - does it have an S or a G? Either one could be the original type - Scovill or General Shaver. The pistol looks very good to me but I would like to see some steel in the Ordnance mark (crossed cannons) and the FJA. Typically the serial number (except No) will have dirt, rust and old oil in it making it darker because it was stamped after Parkerizing. Yours is somewhat darker. Just going by the available pics, I could not say one way or the other for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast