Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so old?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Why so old?

Is no one posting here anymore? Last post I see is from 2019. Is that right?

Posts liked by others
    There are not tons of posts here but certainly posts daily. No idea why you are not seeing them.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member, GOA Member, MGO Member

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by mauser7x57 View Post
    No that is definitely not correct. It is a fact that traffic is down on this forum compared to years past, and the same is true for most Internet forums. I'm a member on several forums, and that topic comes up frequently. Most people believe that the answer is Facebook. Facebook, for some reason, seems to be a more attractive platform for many people than forums such as this. Even my state's grass roots pro-2A group seems to have effectively abandoned their web site. They still have a web site, but it's usually a least a month out of date. All the updates are posted to the Facebook page.

But ... 2019? No, that's not correct. As a moderator, I check in here every day, usually multiple times per day. There's usually something new every time, and certainly at least a few posts every day.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I'm on this site 4-5 times a week at a minimum. Recently I was searching back to something I had read quite a while ago about recoil springs and wanted to re-read. The search tool on this website works great. I've found answers to a number of my questions by going through old posts. Some were asked and multiple answers expressing various viewpoints were right there to be found. Info about guns designed long ago doesn't have to be "fresh" to be of value.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    I think the OP is referring to the Ed Brown sub-forum. Before his post, the last message I can see posted in it was from 2019.

Why the decrease in messages? From my obeservations, it is true that the gun forums I frequent seem to generally have fewer messages posted. But I think there are other reasons as well. First, with literally years and years of posts related to 1911s to search and review from various forum websites, more people probably rely on past posts when asking about best magazines, best lubes, etc.

As to this site in particular, I think some users have found certain rules and policies overly restrctive. I last posted one message in 2013, but have not regularly posted since 2012. I have seen some members or former members complain on other forums abou this. To me, it's their house, their rules. I'm not complaining. I'm just offering an explanation.

BTW, I still occaisonally visit and find historic posts useful.
    Likes (1) :
    1911end (16th January 2021)

Last edited by BluegrazzGuy; 16th January 2021 at 12:49.

Posts liked by others
    While I may not post a whole lot will say that as most recently this is one of the few sites my I-Pad 1st Gen can still access. Simply don't have enough memory to visit other sites with all their commercials.

I may not be alone in this and feel others may encounter the same and so this site may pick up more of us outdated folk here. I like to keep it simple.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by BluegrazzGuy View Post
    I think the OP is referring to the Ed Brown sub-forum. Before his post, the last message I can see posted in it was from 2019.
    That makes sense.

I see a couple of contributing factors. First is the decline of Internet forums in favor of platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. Second is the proliferation of 1911 makers, most of whom sell their wares for far less than Ed Brown. It used to be that most of the lower tier 1911s (and other guns) often looked like they were carved by hand in somebody's basement workshop. Fit, finish, and the ability to use standard parts were all highly "iffy." But those days are long gone. Today, even the entry level makers are using modern CNC machining centers, so people can now buy an entry-level pistol with reasonable assurance that it will function reliably.

Last is the price level. Ed Brown pistols are in the same league as Les Baer and Wilson Combat (IMHO), both in quality and in price. But my perception is that both Les Baer and Wilson Combat do a lot more publicity, so I suspect that's where many buyers looking for their first "quality" 1911 will go.

But the Les Baer and Wilson Combat discussion areas aren't being overrun by posts, either, so I think the primary issue is Facebook, followed by the plethora of less expensive pistols.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 28th January 2021 at 21:23. Reason: typo

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by mauser7x57 View Post
    My last post here was 2019 after I bought an Ed Brown pistol. After a short break in period it has functioned 100%. No news is good news!

Posts liked by others
    From what I see in other gun forums, there is still and great interest in the 1911 platform. I think the heavy handed moderation along with a general felling of unfriendliness makes most new users find other sites. For example, if a new member post an introduction here it most likely will never get more than one reply, if that. God forbid if someone has an issue with a Colt pistol, they will be the subject of ridicule and insulted like a they have no purpose owning a gun.
    With all of the PC and anti 2nd amendment attitude on the major social media sights this forum should be hitting record attendance.
    Several years ago when I became fascinated with the 1911 and started building my own pistols it was a great advantage to find the wealth of information in the archives here. Unfortunately that is all it is good for now.

Posts liked by others
    Too many people on fakebook.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast