Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Which 1911?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Which 1911?

I can only buy one so I'm asking: given a choice between a 1911, 1911A1, and a US&S which CMP pistol should I bid on (all other characteristics being equal)?

Posts liked by others
    Who made each of the first two? And are they original, or arsenal rebuilt and/or refinished?

A US&S is an M1911A1. Union Switch and Signal was one of several manufacturers to whom the government contracted production os 1911s during the height of WW2. Remington-Rand produced the most so I would expect that -- if the condition is comparable, a US&S should be worth a bit more than a R-R just due to relative numbers.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (13th January 2021)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 13th January 2021 at 17:17.

Posts liked by others
    All pistols I've actually observed sold through the CMP rebuilt in some fashion; some just slightly and some almost totally with various modern parts. The one auction US&S I've had in hand totally refinished with a few non-US&S parts. Though they have military provenance in their current condition I'd wait and buy something original if I was only buying one.

If my only option was the CMP I'd look at the auctions first since at least you have some idea what you're bidding on. If I was in the pool I'd take the highest grade offered to me.
    Likes (2) :
    Bob_n (10th January 2021), MuyModesto (13th January 2021)

Posts liked by others
    Hawk & Doran have the right idea. BUT, no matter your choice, it's still a genuine military pistol. I only had a choice of rack or field(no service) and I took field. Well satisfied. As far as I know, none of the springs,internal parts would be marked as to manufacture. If an expert chimes in with more info, I'm eagerly awaiting! Slide,frame,hammer,slide stop,safety,mainspring hsg, grips are the identifiable parts.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (13th January 2021)