Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Springfield A1 parts?

Posts liked by others

Springfield A1 parts?

Anyone? How about the internal parts ifor Springfield 1911 A1, are they interchangable with Colt etc. I am just considering to get one as stated in the previous message, and not familiar with the make. Got Colts both 70 and 80 series and a large frame Armscor, so far I´ve learned that the grip safety differs with other makes but how about the other parts?
    thanks Jayspring.jpg

Posts liked by others
    Yes the internal parts like sear, sear spring, disconnector.

Posts liked by others
    The firing pin is probably different. .45 ACP and 10mm use the original firing pin, .40 S&W and 9mm use a smaller one. Springfield uses a firing pin that's between the two "industry standard" sizes in all their pistols.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (1) :
    PolyKahr (17th September 2023)

Posts liked by others
    I have both Blued and Stainless SA Garrisons in 45ACP and both use the 9mm firing pins, not 45ACP pins and a very long extra strength firing pin return spring. Hard to change firing pins due to that return spring. Did a pencil test and results were not same as with normal 1911's. I decided to replace them with a SS 9MM pin and Wolf extra power return spring. IMO, Springfield did that to be able to sell the Garrisons in states that try very hard to disqualify sales of any firearms they can find a reason to fail them.
    Last edited by lashlaruhe; 1st May 2022 at 11:08.

Posts liked by others
    Did you check the diameters of the tips of the SA firing pics and the replacements? Unless Springfield has changed, their firing pins are not the same as 9mm.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    While there is a Springfield firing pin of intermediate diameter, I have read reports of SAs with .38 and .45 diameter firing pins.

More and more SAs have been showing up with ejectors glued in instead of pinned.

Posts liked by others
    I used my Matoya dial caliper (checked zero adjustment first) and measured the tips both Springfield Garrison factory firing pins. Both measured on 3 tries at 0.070" which is 9MM size from Ed Brown. The factory firing pin return is about 1/4r" longer than Wolf's extra power spring. BTW, before I changed out the firing pin assembly. Also, the Springfield firing pin return spring because of ?? made it a pain to reassemble, as there were many times the pin and spring went AWOL Now all is good to go, fired around 100 rounds in both and no issues.
    Last edited by lashlaruhe; 2nd May 2022 at 13:27.

Posts liked by others
    The concept of "drop in parts" really started with the 1911. I would imagine the parts will probably fit just fine but I would have a qualified gunsmith do it in case some minor fitting is required.

Posts liked by others
    I’ve assembled ten 1911s from stripped frames, new and used slides and barrels, and other parts from various manufacturers. Many of the parts will fit without any “fitting” however I have found that most thumb safeties, barrels, barrel bushings and some triggers need fitting to work properly Most other parts will “drop in”.

I have assembled a couple that actually went together without any fitting at all but that is the exception, not the norm.

Posts liked by others
    "some minor fitting is required" - some is all relative . . . . .