Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ria 1911 accidental discharge

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    "Second position."
    Is that with the hammer all the way down on the firing pin stop or do you mean the half cock notch?

I know of one wounding when a gun owner thought that because his Star looked sort of like a 1911, it had an inertia firing pin. It did not, with the hammer all the way down, it was leaning on the firing pin against the primer. It did not take much to fire it into his foot.

Check your firing pin length.

A clothing swipe might conceivably knock the hammer out of the half cock notch far enough to release it and fire the gun.

Do not carry in half cock.

For greatest safety, carry with the chamber empty, magazine loaded; "condition 3." Good enough for the Army.
    For fastest response, carry at full cock with the thumb safety on. A holster with safety strap between hammer and slide is an added layer of protection.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Partiot420 View Post
    Just had an AD ria 1911 a1-fs. Had it half cocked and set it down on the coffee table.
    Respectfully, there is no valid reason (IMHO) to ever leave a 1911 in the half-cocked position. The half-cock position is not there to EVER be used as a carry or storage position. It is there ONLY to catch the hammer if the hammer slips off the full-cock position when the trigger has not been pulled.

I do have tape around the handle safety.
    Your gun, your life, your choice. If I had a 1911 on which the grip safety didn't release reliably when I hold the pistol normally, I would either adjust or replace the grip safety. Taping it to defeat its function is not something I would do or recommend.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (4) :
    cosh (10th November 2022), jjfitch (6th November 2022), Rick McC. (8th January 2023), tjh121 (6th November 2022)

Posts liked by others
    I think JB wanted it to be CAL

Posts liked by others
    Pardon my ignorance but, Are you carrying in condition two? Being in " Chambered and Hammer is down "?

Thanks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234