Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Dear members,
Please make sure the email address we have for you, is correct and valid.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Magazine catch problem

Posts liked by others

Magazine catch problem

At the range the other day with my Springfield 1911A1 Mil-Spec and a (plus or minus) 35 year old "Devel" brand 8 round magazine the gun worked perfectly until it was time to eject the empty mag. I had to depress the mag release and then use a tool to apply a little prying force to get the mag to drop. My first thought was that I had more than gotten my $20 worth out of that old mag. All the other mags I had brought that day worked flawlessly at the range. This is one of the Devels with a metal weight on the base of the magazine.

Back at the house I checked that mag in other 1911s. It ejected normally from all the other pistols. This makes me suspect there's a problem with the mag catch in my Springfield.

Can anybody share what size of screwdriver is right for removing the mag catch?

Once I get the mag catch out of the gun, what should I look for, other than a buildup of crud?
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    The mag catch is fine.

Those Devel followers rock forward beyond the front of the mag as the last round is fed into the chamber during live fire.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 19th December 2020 at 19:36.

Posts liked by others
    If you have a spare 1911 sear spring use the longest leg with a bent tip which should be to your left to remove mag catch.
    Last edited by Ric4509; 20th December 2020 at 14:21. Reason: Add pciture

Posts liked by others
    No such luck. Decades ago I was taught to use the sear spring. I'm trying to avoid disassembly, in hope of keeping things simple during my senior years.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.
    Likes (1) :
    Norton (20th December 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I bought a 3/32" screwdriver, which seems just right for removing the mag catch. I found only minimal fouling, and cleaned it up. I removed the spring and follower, then inserted the mag tube into the pistol. It still won't eject.

Ric4509 thanks for your input. I rummaged through my notes and saw that a couple years ago I made a note to use "Checkmate" brand springs & followers in the "Devel" brand magazines. I did insert a new "Checkmate" brand spring and follower into this magazine, but that did not solve the problem.

I'm now satisfied that I got my money's worth out of this mag over all those years. Next stop for that mag: The trash can.
    Likes (1) :
    Rick McC. (21st December 2020)

Posts liked by others
    It's sounding more like the body of the mag (maybe the lips too) have bulged.

You may be able to salvage the mag by sandwiching it between 2 steel plates and squeezing them in a vice - GENTLY.
    MFWIC
    DILLIGAF
    Stercus Accidit
    WTFDTSG
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (22nd December 2020)

Posts liked by others
    After 20 years of use the feed lips are probably expanded outward. I "MIC" my magazines every year to be sure the lips haven't spread. Some do some don't! Most 9mm mags begin to spread much sooner! A little squeeze in a padded vice "recalibrates" each!

's
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (22nd December 2020)

Last edited by jjfitch; 22nd December 2020 at 11:29.