Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OWB 'SERPA CQC'-style carry holster for RIA TAC Ultra FS HC?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by BWDeadcat View Post
    JTQ: my 1911's: RIA 51486 (ROCK Ultra); 51567 (TAC Ultra HC) (stock pics - I haven't taken any of my own yet)

Jim Watson: a point and a question:

I like the CQC trigger latch, but a similar or as accessible locking mechanism will do the job.

Do your Kydex benders require heat?
    I don't know of a custom maker installing a mechanical latch. I have formed Kydex molded to where you have to really want the gun to draw it. Safariland has the best regarded retention holster. You would have to search for your gun.

My Kydex benders use heat. Typically a small oven and a heat gun. Not a lot of heat, their inert models and a lot of the real guns are themselves plastic.

Posts liked by others
    The frame also is wider on the double stacks starting just at the rear of the trigger.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 10th December 2020 at 10:54.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    This holster? https://blackhawk.com/serpa-cqc-matt...lment-holster/

While it is not generally a highly regarded holster, why not pick the SERPA if that's what you want?

Most folks looking for a non-leather retention holster typically choose something from the Safariland line-up https://safariland.com/collections/duty
    Why is it not generally a highly regarded holster?

Posts liked by others
    I said that at least once. Seems to not register. My CQC will not allow the trigger latch into the trigger well - holster lips need bending outward.
    Slight modifications needed, but the holster is shaped to fit a rail.

Posts liked by others
    No clue. I didn't say it, JTQ did. I personally like it a lot, and I think, with a bit of work, it will do nicely.

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric4509 View Post
    Why is it not generally a highly regarded holster?
    Many (I'd say most, but I don't really know) training facilities have banned the Blackhawk SERPA holster for safety concerns. The issue is with the lock release button where most folks typically use their trigger finger to operate the latch, and will sometimes engage the trigger after draw. You can google "Tex Grebner" for one of the better known examples.

While I'll agree it can be a safety issue, it probably is something folks can train their way around the limitations of that holster.

My issue with the holster is it really has limited use.

It isn't a very good concealment holster since there isn't any feature on the holster that would pull the grip close to the body. The gun sticks out pretty far from the body relative to most concealment holsters and the grip sticks out like a diving board.

It isn't a very good range/training/competition holster since there really isn't a need for a retention device on holsters for most of those applications (I understand the 3-Gun guys often use retention holsters though) and since your classmates/competitors won't be using a holster with a retention device, you'll be at a disadvantage.

Most LE won't use them as they typically choose the better made, and more secure holsters from Safariland.

That really only leaves one use for them and that's probably outdoor activities like hiking, ATV riding, boating, etc. They are relatively secure, relatively inexpensive, and are probably a pretty good choice for those activities.

Posts liked by others
    I know we keep going over this...
    Quote Originally Posted by BWDeadcat View Post
    Slight modifications needed, but the holster is shaped to fit a rail.
    A full length rail?

A full length rail is not a common feature on a 1911. While certainly possible, it would seem unlikely Blackhawk makes a holster for a 1911 with a full length rail.

Posts liked by others
    +1 on what Hawkmoon and JTQ have posted about safety with the holster. In addition I am aware of dirt/debris locking the mechanism that keeps it from working. Think....for whatever reason you end up on the ground rolling around then are unable to draw your pistol.

LHS

Posts liked by others
    The Serpas are banned from any of the ranges that I’ve ever shot at.

I personally witnessed a very experienced shooter put a nice 9mm groove across the front of his leg drawing from a Serpa holster at an IDPA match a few years ago. They were banned from that range shortly thereafter.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123