Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Did a bit of a Experiment today on Breakfree LP

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Did a bit of a Experiment today on Breakfree LP

About every couple of months, my home defense / carry gun gets unloaded, slide locked back, a patch of Breakfree CLP down the barrel followed by a dry patch.
    a drop of Breakfree LP on the slide rails, front of the barrel where the bushing contacts, and the barrel hood. Outside gets a coat of Birchwood Casey Barricade. Slide is cycled a few times and then the chamber round
    either gets rechamberd or about the third time is cycled out for a fresh round. All ammo gets shot about every 6 months.

I had been pretty busy and let it go about 4 or 5 months.
    I decided to do a test of sorts, I field stripped it and looked at areas such as the barrel feet, lug cutouts in the slide etc. to see if the oil had dryed or evaporated.
    I was pretty surprised to find everything was still wet with oil. The oil had darkened to a "Yellow " color in some areas but it was still wet.
    I wiped off the old oil and replaced it with new oil.
    I have been using Breakfree LP on my 1911's and Ar rifles for awhile and it seams to stay put and not dry up or burn off.
    LP was made for stainless and full auto weapons.
    I think it's a hair thicker than their CLP.

Posts liked by others
    I'm curious. What's your thinking on changing the chambered round after three times chambered and extracted? To my thinking any round tasked with defending my life is chambered only once. If not fired during that one chambering it then goes into a box of once-chambered duty ammunition to use for practice.

I then remove all the remaining rounds from the magazine and install a new never-yet-chambered round as the first round into that magazine. I then insert the other rounds back into the magazine in the same order as they were before. The per-round price for duty ammo (when I am lucky enough to find some here in California) is $1.25 to $1.50. Since I value my life at more than that amount, it seems worth it to only chamber a duty round once. But, that's just my point of view and I'm confident others see it differently.
    i sold all my handguns. . . . . . . . . . except for the 1911 style pistols in .45 ACP.

Posts liked by others
    I have seen HP's deform on chambering, usually on the second , third or forth time being chambered.
    MFWIC
    DILLIGAF
    Stercus Accidit
    WTFDTSG

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by BHP9 View Post
    I have seen HP's deform on chambering, usually on the second , third or forth time being chambered.
    I can’t say I’ve seen much deformation, but setbacks are fairly common when the same round is put back in the mag and chambered multiple times.

My “solution” is to not unload my carry guns very often, and when I do encounter setback with carry ammo; I use a kinetic bullet puller to make the round exceed COAL, then run it through the bullet seating/crimp die.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Likes (2) :
    JD11 (7th December 2020), MuyModesto (30th November 2020)

Last edited by Rick McC.; 30th November 2020 at 08:50.

Posts liked by others
    After about 3 chamberings the round has picked up some Nicks and such that it's rotated out.
    I have never seen Bullet deformation, but bullet set back can happen. so about 3 chamberings is fine.
    Likes (1) :
    PolyKahr (23rd January 2021)

Posts liked by others
    I also change out the first round every three times I unload. I unload often for dry firing practice. With ammunition being made of unobtainium these days, one has to be sparing with them.