Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Flatwire Recoil Springs

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Flatwire Recoil Springs

Has anyone tried the Wilson Flatwire recoil springs in their 1911? I just dropped the last standard spring that I have in my CQB Compact and need to order some more springs. I know Wilson advertises these as having a longer service life, anyone with firsthand experience with them able to verify?

Posts liked by others
    I tried them on a Full Size Colt when Wilson first introduced them.
    They work, But the gun gets that crunchy Glock feeling when you pull the slide back.
    Also I found the spring has to be completely on the their rear guide rod or the slide binds up when you put it on the frame.
    Then you have to take the slide off and start again.
    Once assembled it's fine.

I ditched them and prefer a Wolff Conventional recoil spring.
    Wolff also includes a fresh firing pin spring with each recoil spring.

If your shooting competition and put alot of rounds through your gun each year, it might be worth it.
    But not for me.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (14th November 2020)

Posts liked by others
    I prefer round wire in my 5” guns and Commanders. I do use the flat wires in my 4” Wilson’s. The last flat wire that I needed to replace was at 4,000 rounds. I normally replace my flat wires at 3,000 or so. Wilson does have an inflated number as to how long they will last, at least in my opinion. They do last longer than a standard round wire spring.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member, GOA Member, MGO Member

Posts liked by others
    I have one in a Sig Ultra (3.3” 1911).

It came with a flat wire recoil spring, which runs great, and the pistol is easily reassembled.

I also have flat wire recoil assemblies in all of my S&W M&P’s, which run flawlessly. The oldest was bought in 2007, has been used very heavily, and still has the original recoil assembly.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 15th November 2020 at 18:46.