Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red dot on 1911 carry

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    The Wilson Combat front sights with the polished gold dome are easy to acquire quickly for me.

I have one on a stainless Tactical Carry, and one is included on a Wilson EDC X9 build that should be done in the next few months.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    I agree that the Wilson gold beads are very easy to pick up, they are my favorite front sight. At 65 my eyes have been going downhill for about 25 years. I have shot red dots on several peoples “combat” guns and they are really are nice but do take quite a bit of practice to acclimate yourself to just as iron sights did when we first started shooting. Wilson’s offering of the Ameriglo sight is extremely fast but it is built more for quick acquisition than pin point accuracy. There always seems to be trade offs.

I’m not sure I’ll ever have one on my carry guns. I do have one on my .22 bullseye gun which is a Nelson Conversion. There is no doubt that my groups are tighter with the red dot than with iron sights. My .45 bullseye gun is still set up with iron sights and it is far more of a struggle than it used to be.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member, GOA Member, MGO Member

Posts liked by others
    For fear of hijacking this thread there are a few things that need to be defined before deciding if a red dot (RMR) is right for you!

Are you training for COM pointed pairs inside 7 yards? Are you able to make these consistently?

Are you training for "sighted" COM pairs 7-15 yards? Are you able to make these consistently?

("COM" means inside a sheet of typing paper or the 8 ring on the B-27)

Posting two B-27's at 7 and 15 yards about a yard apart and practicing pointed and sighted pairs is a pretty common drill.

Practicing in low light with a three dot system (Combat sights) or night sights ups the skill level too.

This will give you a real sense of whether or not you really need an RMR sight!

If an RMR is necessary for making a head shot at 25 yards, that's beyond the scope of most defensive handgun training!

Practice, practice, practice and take a kid shooting!

John, 74 year old, Retired LEO, POST certified firearms instructor, RMR's on competition guns and night sights on EDC's
    Last edited by jjfitch; 27th November 2020 at 23:54.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
    For fear of hijacking this thread there are a few things that need to be defined before deciding if a red dot (RMR) is right for you!
    One of my pet peeves is undefined acronyms. I've been shooting for almost 70 years, and I have never encountered the acronym "RMR" until this post. What is "RMR" an acronym for?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Sorry I violated my own rule in business writing, an undefined acronym!

For quite a few years the miniature red dots found in use on "gamer guns" and becoming popular on "EDC" pistols are referred to as "RMR's" or "Ruggedized Miniature Reflex" sights as opposed to the big bulky red dot sights found on "Precision Pistol's"! The first time I ran across "RMR" I had to Google: "RMR Sight" for definition and pictures!

"EDC" > Every day Carry!

Smiles,
    Last edited by jjfitch; 28th November 2020 at 10:14. Reason: Syntax

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
    For quite a few years the miniature red dots found in use on "gamer guns" and becoming popular on "EDC" pistols are referred to as "RMR's" or "Ruggedized Miniature Reflex" sights as opposed to the big bulky red dot sights found on "Precision Pistol's"! The first time I ran across "RMR" I had to Google: "RMR Sight" for definition and pictures!
    I would not have figured that out in a million years.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Check this out, might be useful as a sticky!

The firearms glossary and acronym library....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossa...rearms_terms#H

Smiles,
    Last edited by jjfitch; 28th November 2020 at 13:31.

Posts liked by others
    Nah.

When I studied Advanced Expository Writing in college, I was taught that it is my responsibility as a writer to be certain my readers can understand what I'm writing. If a writer sends his readers off to find a glossary of arcane terms and acronyms ... he has failed as a writer.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    Ruggedized Miniature Reflex sight. It’s been a fairly common term among pistol shooters for a while.

I believe that Trijicon came up with the first (or one of the first) for the USSOCOM a few years ago.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 29th November 2020 at 09:50.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    Ruggedized Miniature Reflex sight. It’s been a fairly common term among pistol shooters for a while.

I believe that Trijicon came up with the first (or one of the first) for the USSOCOM a few years ago.
    See Post #15

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast