Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Red dot on 1911 carry

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    Ruggedized Miniature Reflex sight. It’s been a fairly common term among pistol shooters for a while.
    The term can't be all that common. I am a pistol shooter. I spend hours every day on this and several other "gun" forums, and I had not encountered it.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Yup, there's a lot left to learn!

I've learned a "boat load" of new terms when figuring out the "black ugly gun" vernacular!

Google was a big help!

Smiles,

Posts liked by others
    Yes, I might (or might not) have been able to figure out "RMR" from Google. But the purpose of posting on a web forum such as this is either to ask a question or to answer a question. We write to communicate thoughts. As I posted a couple of days ago, if what I write sends the readers to an external source like a dictionary or Google to figure out what I said ... I have failed as a writer.

https://blogs.millersville.edu/bduncan/abbreviations-2/

1. When in doubt spell it out—at least the first time.

The purpose of writing is communication, and anything that may cause confusion should be avoided. The first time you use an abbreviation, initialism, or acronym, spell it out and present the short version in parenthesis: The Greater Reno Water Authority (GRWA) calls for the use of native desert plants in all yards and gardens.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    So when I write "COLT 1911A1, 45 ACP" on this and the other forums I've failed because I didn't spell out or define every letter/acronym?

I surrender, you win!

Smiles,

Posts liked by others
    SOF forces started using ACOG rifle sights around 1996, and at some point between then and 2000; they were mounting RMR’s on top of the ACOGS for CQB effectiveness.

The next generation sight system they used included an RMR, and that generation was adopted in the 2003-2004 timeframe, so the sights and the term have been around for quite a while now.

I’ve been familiar with the sight and term for quite a while, so I suppose it depends on the type of shooting sports you’re involved with, and the shooter's that you shoot with.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McC. View Post
    Ruggedized Miniature Reflex sight. It’s been a fairly common term among pistol shooters for a while.

I believe that Trijicon came up with the first (or one of the first) for the USSOCOM a few years ago.
    +1 Rick. Experts need expanded education some time.

LHS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123