Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red dot on 1911 carry

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Red dot on 1911 carry

Went to the range today with my new Wilson Combat commander 1911 .45ACP and at 70 my eyes may not be quite as sharp as they used to be. A good friend of mine who also carries says he has a red dot on his carry. What are your thoughts?

Posts liked by others
    I’ve personally seen in multiple training courses that they’re slower to acquire than iron sights. That said, to those of us trained in the threat focused skills; iron sights are too slow to acquire. So, it all depends on the shooter’s level of training.

I shoot with a few guys in IDPA who use them, and they do seem to shoot accurately with them, though not that quickly. If your primary interest is target shooting, you may like them.

I’ll be 70 next January myself.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

IDPA Certified Safety Officer
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 5th November 2020 at 20:40.

Posts liked by others
    Years back I shot a friends gun that had the old C more red dot on it.
    Fired the first shot, the gun recoiled and I spend the next minute trying to find the dot in the sight again.
    I don't care for them on a handgun.
    With that said I have them on most of my Ar rifles.
    When a rifle comes up to your shoulder, it mounts to the shooter at four points.
    The Shoulder, the face cheek, and both hands.
    So when the rifle comes up the red dot should be right in front of you.

Posts liked by others
    I have tried 1911s with red dots. As both the previous responses have already commented, it takes longer to acquire the red dot than it does to acquire open sights.

What sights do you have on your pistol now? Perhaps a green fiber optic front sight would be a better option than a red dot.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Likes (2) :
    Rick McC. (8th November 2020), Sergio Natali (15th November 2020)

Last edited by Hawkmoon; 8th November 2020 at 10:32. Reason: Typo

Posts liked by others
    I agree with Hawkmoon, I tried to shoot a friend's 1911 with red dot once but I didn't feel at ease with it, maybe it's only a matter of habit; I love red fiber front sights instead.
    Originality can't be restored, so put "originality" at the top of a priority list. If JMB didn't put it on the 1911 you don't need it.
    Likes (1) :
    MuyModesto (16th November 2020)

Posts liked by others
    Thanks everyone. I greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Jim

Posts liked by others
    I'm 74 and I don't/can't rely on standard sights. I have both a red dot front sight and a dual green dot rear sight plus a green laser grip and both work perfectly for me. I do train regularly and that also helps.
    NRA Life Member, JPFO member, NAGR member, 2nd Amendment Foundation member and Life Member of Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 996

Posts liked by others
    If you have trouble picking up the red dot after firing, the gun doesn't fit you or your grip shifted a lot.
    I know when I reached 65, I really did not appreciate iron sights for accuracy any more. Oh, I can pick them up fast enough for a 4" group at 12 yards, but not for real precision at 25 or 50 yards any more.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Had front sight drilled an a white ball installed, helps to pick up the front sight. Most of my shooting is 15 yards or less, so it works fine.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 84B20 View Post
    I'm 74 and I don't/can't rely on standard sights. I have both a red dot front sight and a dual green dot rear sight plus a green laser grip and both work perfectly for me. I do train regularly and that also helps.
    I've never heard of red or green dot front and rear sights. Are you referring to red and green fiber optic sights? I believe the OP is asking about a reflex sight with a red dot in the center.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast